What's new

No 5Ghz MAC Address

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LoneWolf3574

Occasional Visitor
Last night I shut my home network down for the night, as I do every month. When I got home from work (I work nights) I turned everything on and tried to connect to the network so my daughter could print her report out for school, but only my 2.4Ghz was showing up (networked printer connected via EA-N66). After messing around for an hour or so, I noticed that the wireless 5Ghz MAC address was not showing when I looked at the network map. Hovering over the wifi symbol show that 5Ghz was indeed disabled and closer examination of the advanced wireless settings (professional) showed that the radio was on.

I've tried all that I can think of including rolling back the firmware from merlin 270.24 to factory 270 & 140, as well as manually controlling the 5G channel, rebooting the router, factory reset and disabling/re-enabling the radio, but nothing seems to be working. I can connect via 2.4Ghz and am connecting right now via LAN. I am at a complete loss as to what to do right now and any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Last edited:
Sometimes even a nongeek can have a good idea. My wife suggested that I turn the power off instead of using the "Reboot" button in the GUI and let it set for a few minutes before I turn it back on. I told that wouldn't do anything different, but I had tried everything else I could think of already so what the heck. It actually worked, the 5Ghz was back and working as before. :eek:

So a good thing to remember if you have a frequency that doesn't broadcast after having the power cycled, do it again. :D

Sometimes even a nongeek can have a good idea. My wife suggested that I turn the power off instead of using the "Reboot" button in the GUI and let it set for a few minutes before I turn it back on. I told that wouldn't do anything different, but I had tried everything else I could think of already so what the heck. It actually worked, the 5Ghz was back and working as before. :eek:

So a good thing to remember if you have a frequency that doesn't broadcast after having the power cycled, do it again. :D

Power cycling will actually reset the chips, while a simple warm reboot will just reinitialize the code. If a controller is "crashed", the cold boot is the best solution indeed.

I had a customer who could no longer use USB devices. Reboot her PC didn't help. When I actually turned it off for 30 secs and turned it back on, her USB controller started working properly again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!