What's new

No clients names in Network Map

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MonkY

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone!

I just upgraded my Asus RT-AC87U to an Asus RT-AC86U. As i was used to Asuswrt-Merlin (for a few years now), i have installed the latest one on the new router (384.3 version).
Although i have entered in my DHCP server manually my LAN devices, in the Network MAP, i can only see the clients MAC's... no real names.
On the old AC87U was much easier, as i could see the names of the devices/computers...
Do i have to do anything else to fix this and see the names? Or is this a function not supported yet on AC86U?

Thanks in advance!

Whether its a bug with your setup or the firmware in general, networkmap is now closed source so for the latter situation Asus would have to fix. A factory reset would help to clear up if it is a bug specific to you, but I would wait for other owners of the router + firmware combo to comment here first.

I think there is a bug somewhere, or i might need to set something (like WINS Server), because sometimes i can see a computer/device name shown instead of just MAC numbers...

I think there is a bug somewhere, or i might need to set something (like WINS Server), because sometimes i can see a computer/device name shown instead of just MAC numbers...
There is definitely a bug somewhere and ASUS isn't fixing it. I raised a problem report with them in the Fall. They pretty much don't care is my conclusion.

Well, i guess it's time for more of us to raise the problem report, until they fix it! :)

Hi everyone!

I just upgraded my Asus RT-AC87U to an Asus RT-AC86U. As i was used to Asuswrt-Merlin (for a few years now), i have installed the latest one on the new router (384.3 version).
Although i have entered in my DHCP server manually my LAN devices, in the Network MAP, i can only see the clients MAC's... no real names.
On the old AC87U was much easier, as i could see the names of the devices/computers...
Do i have to do anything else to fix this and see the names? Or is this a function not supported yet on AC86U?

Thanks in advance!

I have seen this happen for a couple of my devices when connected to the AC86U. Just shows a MAC address instead of a client name, but it only happens to a couple of them. In one case it also says it has a static IP, where that is not the case. I am on the 384.4 beta Merlin firmware and have seen this behavior on the beta version. I would suspect this is an Asus bug and not something Merlin could do anything about. I just manually fixed the two device names in the network map where this happened. Have been seeing this behavior on both the stock and Merlin firmware.

Well, i have double checked in the meantime, and i think it's only related to the firmware for AC86U. I have now 2 x AC86U routers installed in my house, and one AC68U. All of them are using the latest 384.3 firmware. On both AC86U, i see all my whole 28 clients in the network with MAC address instead of the name. While on AC68U, they are listed correctly, with names (that i never input myself). Also, on the AC68U, the devices icons are shown correctly (for example my iPhone has an Apple Logo, my TV has a Samsung logo and so on), while on the AC86U all of them have the same icon, a notebook icon i guess (except the other routers, that are shown corectly). So... what gives?

I have updated one of my AC86U routers to 384.4 Beta1. Unfortunately, no fix.
So, for now, AC87U and AC68U is showing all the clients in Network Map with their names and manufacturer icons, while AC86U doesn't, and only shows the MAC's. Except for other Asus routers.

One more thing i have noticed beeing broken on AC86U. On my old AC87U, in the Network Map, when a device had a webpage (like routers do), the IP would become an URL link, so i could go directly to the administration page on that device. Now, no client has that.
I hope these can be fixed...

I have updated one of my AC86U routers to 384.4 Beta1. Unfortunately, no fix.
So, for now, AC87U and AC68U is showing all the clients in Network Map with their names and manufacturer icons, while AC86U doesn't, and only shows the MAC's. Except for other Asus routers.

One more thing i have noticed beeing broken on AC86U. On my old AC87U, in the Network Map, when a device had a webpage (like routers do), the IP would become an URL link, so i could go directly to the administration page on that device. Now, no client has that.
I hope these can be fixed...
I've noticed the lack of the IP opening up the webpage for the device as well.

You might try posting in the main Merlin FW thread,
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...eta-is-now-available.44941/page-9#post-386137

I am having similar issues, an example is when a new Apple device joins my network it only displays as “Apple”. Previous firmware would actually show the device name, ie “Named iPhone”

Makes it hard when trying to manage kids devices and they are show up is “Apple” ;)

[Based on my own RT-AC56U Router Menu]
It can be covered by setting fixed MAC/IP pairs in the 'DHCP Server' tab under 'Lan'.
Set 'Enable Manual Assignment' to 'Yes' then at the bottom of the screen is a section headed 'Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list'
It is slightly labourious but only need to be done once.
You need to identify all the devices (by MAC Address) you have connected and manually set the name and IP Address from the DHCP pool.
From then on the same device will get the same IP Address and name.
Over time you will define all the usual devices and any new ones will be easy to see and add if you need to.

Note:
You can also add devices that have addresses that are outside your DHCP pool range and they will be assigned fixed names as well.
I do this to device that have fixed IP Addresses because I do not use DHCP for them.
You can also set device Icon in the same section by left clicking the Icon that is assigned and changing it in the pop-up window.

I am sure other extra Icons have been posted elsewhere on this forum .... you will need to use the excellent search option. !!! :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!