What's new

[Noob] Asuswrt-Merlin BETA + 2 questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ca110475

New Around Here
Hi,

newbie here, apologies for any silly question.
I just installed and configured today for my domestic network a new Asus AC87U, replacing a 6y old Netgear WNDR3700.

First thing i did was flashing latest stable Merlin 380.58, then set up all the network: everything works smoothly.
I just have a couple of questions and (maybe) a small problem.

1. Should i want to test the latest 380.59 BETA1, is a factory reset recommended or i can save a profile and safely load my settings from previous 380.58?

2. This is regarding channel bandwidth. I've read several different articles on the web and a few posts here on SNB but still unsure. I'm using just the 5Ghz radio. What channel bandwidth would you recommend? I live in a crowded place but from what i can sniff around all the neighbours are using 2.4Ghz APs. Would you set channel bandwidth to 80Mhz or 40 like i did? My clients are a mix of AC and N only capable devices. What i noticed is that when CB is 40Mhz, the Tx rate and Rx rate in Clients view seems to improve for some of them, compared to when i choose 80Mhz.

3. Last, the only issue i seem to have with the AC87U: ntp server is correctly set in Administration -> System -> Miscellaneous but for some reason the router seems unable to sync time and date. I've tried several different NTP servers. Router logs always show:

Aug 1 03:23:12 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:15 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:18 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:21 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:24 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:27 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:30 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:33 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:36 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:39 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:42 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:45 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:48 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:51 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:54 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:23:57 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:24:00 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:24:03 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:24:06 ntp: start NTP update
Aug 1 03:24:09 ntp: start NTP update

And this goes on and on indefinitely. Any clue / suggestion?

Thanks in advance

The 380.59 Beta 1 (soon to be released Beta 2, if you want to wait) is recommended over the version you have installed.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

Reset to factory defaults is also recommended and you never want to restore a backup configuration from one firmware version to another.

There is a utility by john9527 called NVRAM Save/Restore utility that you can use to (at minimum) keep a human readable copy of all your settings. I would recommend still doing a full reset to factory defaults and setting up minimally and manually for the best chance of a glitch free experience.

Use 20 MHz for the 2.4 GHz band and 80 MHz for the 5 GHz band.

Found the answer to my ntp issue so posting, maybe useful for someone else.
Actually my ISP uses internal NAT, so my wan ip is not public, and this causes common public ntp servers to not work.

I've set an 'internal' ntp server of the ISP, and everything works fine.

Last edited: