What's new

Noob struggling w/ very slow speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rasmusbang

New Around Here
Hi all,

I am having a problem with my Synology USB Station 2 that is making me tear my hair out, and I really hope that someone can help me.

I have a USB Station 2, and I recently got an Asus RT-N56U router. My problem is that when I connect the USB station to the router with a Cat6 cable, I get very low speeds - around 100 KB/s!

I have tried testing the cable directly between other computers, and it works fine, I have also tried two other Cat6 cables with the same result. Also, my attached HDDs are formatted as EXT4, which should give the best transfer speeds.

The weird thing is, that when I connect the USB Station with an old cable I have lying around (I think it is Cat5, but I'm not sure), I get decent speeds of around 10-12 MB/s, which is still not good, but better than the slow speed I get with the first cable.

I assume that it is the router settings or network settings on the USB Station that is causing it, but I really can't figure out what to do. I hope that someone can help me out!

Thanks!
/Rasmus

A guess: the slow cable somehow makes the ethernet connection go to half-duplex which can slow the ACKs in windowed TCP.

A stretch, for sure.

also... the speeds from a router doing file system I/O to a USB drive will not be very good, as a rule. Slow processor. Especially if the drive is formatted NTFS. It's a router, not a computer.

Last edited:
Hi Stevech,

Thanks for the reply. If this is the issue, is it something that I can change back in the settings, or do I just need to get another (better) cable?

I know that I can't expect lightning speeds from the Synology, I just hope that I can get it up around 15-20 MB/s which is the speed that most reviewers have been able to reach.

Thanks again!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!