What's new

Not so random lagg spikes? RT-AC68U 378.55

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hanky1

New Around Here

Attachments

• lagg.png
    lagg.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 296
Yeah, ran into this bogus data, too *smile*. It's an Asus bug in the realtime network traffic manager graphing from what I heard from RMerlin. Looks much like some kind of arithmetic underflow or overflow problem. If you look at the vertical scale, you'll see that you're doing billions and billions of KB per second, not bloody likely. I've learned to focus on the "last 24 hours" traffic graph, that one's pretty good.

I'm hoping that this will be fixed in the next RMerlin release. I realize that Asus needs to fix it, but it sure is ugly and useless.

Yea. It's ridiculous. Yea it's saying GB's of data transfered in a matter of minutes, yeah right. Problem is that it causes massive lagg spikes in games.
Got 2 spikes on the original asus firmware. But it seems to have cooled down.

Yeah, ran into this bogus data, too *smile*. It's an Asus bug in the realtime network traffic manager graphing from what I heard from RMerlin. Looks much like some kind of arithmetic underflow or overflow problem. If you look at the vertical scale, you'll see that you're doing billions and billions of KB per second, not bloody likely. I've learned to focus on the "last 24 hours" traffic graph, that one's pretty good.

I'm hoping that this will be fixed in the next RMerlin release. I realize that Asus needs to fix it, but it sure is ugly and useless.

Traffic manager is part of TrendMicro engine and its close source, so,Merlin cant fix nothing about that, its on ASUS and Trend side

No idea what the problem is. If you need more info, please do say.
VERY annoying. in like 16 minutes it uploaded over 300GB???

Net is about 55/20 MB/s

Link to full size picture:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1231105/lagg.jpg

See the notice at the top of the page that mentions NAT acceleration will cause bogus traffic to be reported. You have to disable NAT acceleration for the traffic monitor to report accurate results.

See the notice at the top of the page that mentions NAT acceleration will cause bogus traffic to be reported. You have to disable NAT acceleration for the traffic monitor to report accurate results.

I turned off CTF and rebooted the router (just like last time I saw this weird traffic data), and the realtime traffic data is still bogus. Is there something else that I need to do to see accurate results?

Thanks.

Turning off NAT acceleration still doesn't fix bogus statistics on the RT-AC87U. LAN-to-LAN traffic is still counted as WAN traffic.

I turned off CTF and rebooted the router (just like last time I saw this weird traffic data), and the realtime traffic data is still bogus. Is there something else that I need to do to see accurate results?

Thanks.

No other idea, that's usually the main reason for incorrect reports.

I've given up understanding that traffic monitor a long time ago, and recently Asus moved some of its implementation to a closed-source binary because they started gathering data at a low-level of the network switch. And Broadcom being the insane paranoid bastards that they are, they fear that the competition would suddenly provide better products if they ever knew the address page used by a BCM53010 to retrieve its traffic counter registers. This is beyond ridiculous, especially as part of that information has been reverse engineered YEARS ago.

(Yes, I'm getting frustrated beyond measure with Broadcom's BS. You aren't even hearing half of the story there...)

I also found that once I had turned off CTF and rebooted, my only choice on the LAN "Switch Control" page for "NAT Acceleration" was "Disable". There was no "Enable" or "Auto" choice available to turn it back on when I clicked on the drop down. I had not touched anything else, so I don't think it was that it couldn't be enabled due to conflicting settings.

Anyways, to reenable CTF, I had to reset the router and restore my settings file. That came up showing "Auto", with CTF enabled again. So it worked, but I was surprised that the firmware wouldn't allow me to reenable CTF without that, since I hadn't changed anything except turning off CTF. And rebooting.

Oh well, the router is still working well, aside from the realtime traffic monitoring *smile*. Don't want to get started, though, on why "FA" isn't enabled...that's one I've spent some time experimenting with, and never really resolved.

I do understand how having to deal with someone else's closed source that doesn't work right is frustrating. You get credit for the problems, even though you have no control. And you can't modify or adapt that closed source to fit into a better structure, in addition to not being able to fix bugs.

Last edited: