What's new

(not sure where to post) Need help fixing internet issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mascotv2

New Around Here
I keep getting disconnected for 15secs to 3mins every now and then and I go on my syslogs and get this message

syslog: [ 1205.000000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.
syslog: [ 1208.039000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

and it happens 2-3 times and then reconnects. How do I stop it going down?

I have already tried to replace the ethernet cable

Thanks in advance!

It would help if you posted some details about your setup. Router, firmware, ISP type, connection type, is there a ISP device involved at all?

Does the connected device have power saving features? (Yes - disable power saving, No - go to questions below)

What about different LAN port on the router? Is the same thing happening? (Yes - device side issue, No - router LAN port issue)

Do other wired devices connected to the same LAN port with the same cable also disconnect? (Yes - router side issue, No - device side issue)

The answers above assume you have checked your Ethernet cable and it's working properly.

I keep getting disconnected for 15secs to 3mins every now and then and I go on my syslogs and get this message

syslog: [ 1205.000000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link DOWN.
syslog: [ 1208.039000] eth0 (Ext switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 8) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex

and it happens 2-3 times and then reconnects. How do I stop it going down?

I have already tried to replace the ethernet cable

Thanks in advance!
Looks like the isp modem is on the fritz. How is the power connected on it, wall switch, ups, surge protector, etc

equally important: is it WAN or LAN-side?