What's new

Only Transmission entware through vpnclient

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steven Reid

Occasional Visitor
Hello;

I would like to use transmission that I installed via entware while only allowing it's connection through the vpn client 1 connection.

I have searched by failed to find anything.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

You need to go into the transmission config (json) and bind it to an IP on your lan that isn't currently being used or is outside the dhcp range. Then, in VPN Director set that IP to whatever VPN you want it to use.

it was working fine for me with my own remote vpn server. I wonder if ports are being blocked by your vpn. I'm just guessing now, hopefully someone with more experience can respond (I moved transmission to my home server).

I have a docker container that connect to nordvpn with transmission running in docker also and the VPN connection works fine there. However I wanted to make that a bit cleaner by running it on the router directly. But it doesn't seem to allow incoming traffic, I even tried to set inbound firewall to allow on the vpn client tab, neither option makes a difference.

Port forwarding. How did I miss that.
Although the transmission client is running on your router you need to forward ports to the transmission IP. IIRC port 51413, or 49152-65535 if you've selected random port.

Last edited:
Those look right so it should be working. You could try removing them and adding the port forward in the router's gui - you never know. That's just clutching at straws on my part.

The problem I'm having a hard time understanding is that I actually do not want wan connections coming in to this port though, I need them just through vpn client 1.

I will try removing the script and retry.

Good point. I thought VPN Director along with port forwarding would work. It did for me - or it seemed to.

I never touched the firewall. You could be onto something. It's a while ago now so I don't know if that firewall switch was available then. I certainly didn't change it.

Last edited:
As soon as I assign the ip in transmission settings file and restart there is no movement again. Very strange, without the ip assignment and through wan movement happens right away.

OK so I got it working. I removed the firewall script since I do not want wan to feed it, I also removed the port forwarding. I had to edit services-start to add "ifconfig br0:0 192.168.1.253 up"

Then with the ip bound in transmission I see movement. I do not see that the port is open, but this is what I expected since through the VPN it can't open the port, but works regardless.

Bingo!

OK so I got it working. I removed the firewall script since I do not want wan to feed it, I also removed the port forwarding. I had to edit services-start to add "ifconfig br0:0 192.168.1.253 up"

Then with the ip bound in transmission I see movement. I do not see that the port is open, but this is what I expected since through the VPN it can't open the port, but works regardless.
Another option than setting up an alias interface would be to use an interface already on the router, say 192.168.1.1.
The router normally only use this ip when trying to talk to lan clients so adding vpn director rules
Local ip 192.168.1.1 remote ip: any, iface vpn1
Local ip: any, remote ip: 192.168.1.0/24, iface: WAN
Would solve most issues except perhaps other apps that force use this ip. They may also use vpn, but I have never experienced any issues by it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!