What's new

OPNsense + Omada SDN Proxmox container

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rawk stoan

Occasional Visitor
I've been running an OPNsense router for about a year, and it's been quite stable. I thought I would now add the Omada SDN software controller to the network since two of my APs are TPlink EAP225s. The Omada SDN is virtualized in a Proxmox container, and OPNsense is on bare metal.

I am having trouble configuring the Omada software. I first configured VLANs in the WLANs section in Omada, then adopted the EAP225s, so they configure with the SSIDs and VLANs from the WLAN group I created, but the setup does not seem correct.

In Omada, all clients accessing the EAP225s show an IP within the correct subnet, but the corresponding VLAN shown is always "0". For example, the IP address xxx.xxx.15.x should be VLAN "15", but it's shown as "0" when viewed from the summary of clients. -- If I go to the "config" tab of the individual APs, the VLAN section is greyed out. If I try to enable VLANs in that tab , I get the message that an SSID with that name already exists. Does this make sense?

If I tinker too much in trying to solve this, I get a "missed heartbeat" status. Re-adopting the APs once that happens is impossible, so I have to factory reset them, and start again. Kind of annoying.

Also, my network components are not all TPlink products, and I recognize that Omada will only be able to configure and control devices from it's own ecosystem, but is the Omada controller able to monitor ALL the traffic in a network? Is it possible to configure the Omada (or OPNsense) so Omada can produce statistics on all the traffic, not just from it's own ecosystem (two EAP225s in my case)?

Does anyone use the Omada controller in this way? Is it worth the trouble adding it to a network if not all the APs and switches are TPlink products? Maybe I should mess with something that currently works?

Any help is appreciated!

The smartest folks I know for Proxmox are over on ServeTheHome...

they should be able to sort things fairly quickly...