What's new

Over-whelmed -- need help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dasuchbe

New Around Here
I am in a mess and need some guidance to fix my wireless network.

My first question has to do with basic knowledge of wireless networks. I know computers fairly well but the more that I try to research this and find my own problem the more over my head I get. Where can I find the Idiots guide to networks.

This is my problem. I am trying to get a stable connection from my mother-in-laws broadband connection. My wife is going to take an online course and the signal keeps droppng.

I am using a Belkin N Wireless Router Model F5D8236-4 Version 2 off of the service providers modem. Trying to connect to it with a Compaq Presario CQ50 notebook with Vista installed. It has installed a Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter.

The Router is new. I had a version 1 until lightning ran in the modem and took out my in-laws computer, the modem and I think, the router(more on that later) When running the version 1 modem I was able to get 1 to 2 bars out of 5 and connect. Since then connection is bad. Stepping out on my front porch I can get 3 to 4 bars. I am less than 300 feet from the router and I live in a mobile home. I have purchased a Belkin N Wireless USB Adapter. In the cradle and on the window sill, I get 4 out of 5 bars.

I have tried to use Belkins software to control the adapter but it appears to conflict with Vista's operation. Do I just disable it under vista to get the belkin program to see it? Or am I better off with Vista? (Not a big fan of MS)
Is there any tweaking that I can do to improve preformance?

What about interference from cordless phones? How can I adjust for this?
My in-laws have a cordless phone.

Would CELL phone cause interference? I use these instead of a landline.
Or is the entire problem with my hardware. After reading I am wondering about my choice of hardware.

As to the other Belkin Router, how can I test it to be sure that it is dead? I purchased the new one because I could not connect. Kept getting a blinking brown light on the modem light. AND could not access the web page for it. But I did get it reset and the brown light stopped blinking and I can access the setup page for it. I can see the network but nothing connects. DO I need to reinstall the firmware or is it probably a lost cause?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

David

My first question has to do with basic knowledge of wireless networks. I know computers fairly well but the more that I try to research this and find my own problem the more over my head I get. Where can I find the Idiots guide to networks.

I don't know such guide, networking is such a huge field that I wouldn't know where to start a for dummy guide myself.

I am using a Belkin N Wireless Router Model F5D8236-4 Version 2 off of the service providers modem. Trying to connect to it with a Compaq Presario CQ50 notebook with Vista installed. It has installed a Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter.

First, your not going to use 802.11n with that setup, the adapter included in your laptop is not compatible with 802.11n limiting you to g mode. I see you got a wireless n usb adapter, my tip is to use an extension cord for it, I broke one by having it connected to the laptop and using said laptop on my lap, it bumped into something...

I have tried to use Belkins software to control the adapter but it appears to conflict with Vista's operation. Do I just disable it under vista to get the belkin program to see it? Or am I better off with Vista? (Not a big fan of MS)
As far as I know, the only tweaking that can be done on most cards (go to the details of the connection -> property -> configure button next to the card name -> advanced, though it vary from card to card) is the power settings, which should be set to max most of the time.

Cordless phones are wifi killers, never buy one using the 2.4 Ghz range ever, if your inlaw do have a 2.4Ghz cellphone you may be surprised to find out your signal drop out when they receive a call. In that case, my advice would be to offer a brand new set of cordless handsets using the 900 mhz or the 5.8 Ghz range to your inlaws.

The cellphone <-> base station connection should never interfere with wifi, however if you use a bluetooth handset, it -may- interfere with your wifi connection. However in my experience those interference are not overwhelming, bluetooth is low powered. However if you don't use your handset, turning your bluetooth adapter would be common sense.

Other device that can interfere with 2.4Ghz wifi:

Baby monitors (put that in wi-fi destroyers), old Microwaves (newer ones shouldn't leak as much), Analogue video camera (wi-fi anhilator).

And of course the single item that impact the most the performance : placement. the least number of wall and the least number of metalic item (main pillars in the houses) help a lot to have better reception.

You should be able to disable or uninstall the Belkin utility and use Vista's built-in wireless utility.

Since you are using an 11a/b/g adapter, you should set the router to support those modes and disable the N mode. This might improve connection stability. Also see 5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed

This will definitely affect your connection stability.
If they have a 2.4 GHz phone, you could switch to the 5 GHz band. But that would require a dual-band router.
If they have a 5 GHz phone, it will use both bands.
The only thing you can do is to get your in-laws to switch to a DECT 6.0 phone. It uses a frequency band that won't conflict with the wireless LAN.

No. A cell phone won't cause interference.

Or is the entire problem with my hardware. After reading I am wondering about my choice of hardware.
It could be the router. Only way to know for sure is to try a different brand router

As to the other Belkin Router, how can I test it to be sure that it is dead? I purchased the new one because I could not connect. Kept getting a blinking brown light on the modem light. AND could not access the web page for it. But I did get it reset and the brown light stopped blinking and I can access the setup page for it. I can see the network but nothing connects. DO I need to reinstall the firmware or is it probably a lost cause?
You could try a firmware reflash. You basically have tested the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!