What's new

Overclock RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hackintoshsr

Regular Contributor
Do the same telnet commands for the AC68 on the AC87? Reason I ask is when I overclock, I get the same MIPS? or whatever number it says when I do cpuinfo.

I hope that is not too vague. I can be more specific after work, but I was just hoping Merlin or someone could jump in that knew for sure.

Thanks

I briefly experimented with it at 1200,800 during development and it was working fine.

I don't have the device yet so I cannot test it. But I believe that it can run faster than the AC68U since the AC68U has the Broadcom BCM4708 and the AC87U has the Broadcom BCM4709. Since the AC87U runs at 1000 MHz stock and the AC68U runs at 800 MHz at stock, you'd think that AC87U also uses more voltage which allows for faster clockspeeds.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So using this cmd is not working for you?

nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit

So using this cmd is not working for you?

nvram set clkfreq=1200,800
nvram commit

I see no reason why the AC87U shouldn't be able to handle this. RMerlin confirmed that it worked on his AC87U and it's a small overclock.

Those commands work. I was just referring to the bogoMIPS not moving when you do cat /proc/cpuinfo.

I remember reading something on if that doesn't move then it isn't overclocking? Anyway, it changed now when i set it to 1200, so all seems well.

Thanks for the replies!

VPN might go a little faster, which is what I was going for.

USB transfers probably also. Other than that I am not sure.

guys. Sorry for the ignorant question... but Ive searched everywhere and cant find the answer to this question.... Where and or how do I apply this cmd commands in order to overclock cpu on the ac87r/u

Thank You So mutch snakebite3 it worked like a Charm... P.S. First time using Putty or sending commands to the router this way. I think I may look for more codes.. thanks...

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Thank You So mutch snakebite3 it worked like a Charm... P.S. First time using Putty or sending commands to the router this way. I think I may look for more codes.. thanks...

There's a issue with OCing on the lastest FW, if you plan on updating. The OC setting doesn't stick on reboot and the GUI will always display stock. Only way to tell is make note of result using this CMD
cat /proc/cpuinfo
I think you have to reboot first then OC, reboot for the settings to take effect. It took me a few tries. I think the trick is have it reboot without applying the OC first. Remember to use the CMD to check as the GUI will not display OC speed correctly. The older FW(378.55) doesn't have this issue.

Last edited:
I tried and tried. ... but it doesn't stick.... upon reboot it will loose OC inputs and go back to default.

Guys, I have the same problem. After using Putty my overclock settings (1200,88) doesn't stick after a reboot only default again (1000mhz). Using newest FW 9313). Do you guys have this also?

Guys, I have the same problem. After using Putty my overclock settings (1200,88) doesn't stick after a reboot only default again (1000mhz). Using newest FW 9313). Do you guys have this also?
Yes... the new software is the issue... I downgraded to merlin 55 and it sticks with no problem.... 56, and 56.2 ( newer ) has the problem... I'm running at 1400,800 with no problem.

Yes... the new software is the issue... I downgraded to merlin 55 and it sticks with no problem.... 56, and 56.2 ( newer ) has the problem... I'm running at 1400,800 with no problem.

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully there will be a work around available later this year