What's new

oVPN real throughput

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrgenie

Occasional Visitor
I've been searching forums and reviews over the internet to find real throughput values from people actually owning devices and do the tests.

I only found assumptions, speculations and guessing. Only seldom I found reliable speed reports by people, especially they always "forgot" to mention which encryption they used. Without encryption parameters, the report is as good as useless.

So my goal here, is people not replying with questions and this and that, but simply report following:
Device - oVPN encryption settings - real throughput minimum, maximum and average.

It would help people to make a proper choice which hardware they want to buy.

Of course, hardware that doesn't support oVPN doesn't belong here. Of course lower encrypted and thus less secure VPN solutions are faster.

So here are some first values:
E2000 - AES 256 CBC - 1,2Mbps, 2Mbps, 1,6Mbps
E3000 - AES 256 CBC - 1,6Mbps, 2,8Mbps, 2Mbps
E4200 - AES 256 CBC - 2,4Mbps, 4Mbps, 3,2Mbps
RT-AC66U - AES 256 CBC - 2,4Mbps, 6,4Mbps, 4Mbps

so who has more values?

I'm especially interested in current high-end routers like the R7000 of Netgear, AC-RT87U or AC-68U and mostly Broadcom based (DD-wrt supported) routers but any other router with oVPN support is welcome of course.

And please, don't start posting assumptions, estimates, etc. If you own a router with oVPN support, and willing to test it, please post here, if not, obviously you are interested in values as well, then simply look and see but don't start chatting and cluttering this thread.

When new values arrive, I"ll update the first post to keep a nice overview.

It also depends on the your ISP download AND UPLOAD speed.

So here is my configuration and throughput:

Server
RT-N66U overclocked to 662 MHz
Interface: TAP
Protocol: TCP
LZO compression: off
Encryption: AES 256 CBC
ISP: 50 Mbits/s download, 33 Mbits/s upload

Client
x86 PC with Windows XP 32bit
ISP: 25 Mbits/s download, 25 Mbits/s upload
LZO compression: off

Throughput
Typically 14 Mbits/s download and upload

So my opinion is that you have lower throughput than it should be. May be your ISP has low upload speed. In the case that your tests are done by directly connecting the client to router's WAN port, you should check the configuration - the AC66 router should be capable for more throughput. You should consider disabling the LZO compression. Other possible reason for slow throughput could be running other services on your router - torrents, DLNA, etc.

Last edited:
I don't know the exact encryption cyphers I used as I went with Tomato on the router and the "use default" setting for the cypher. I contacted PIA and they said it's then set by the firmware, but I haven't found an answer what the default cypher is. I believe it's more the 128 bit version.

I got about 8Mbit/s down with the E3000, 6-8.5 range, which prompted me to research and then buy and test new routers. The N66u got about 12-15 Mbit/s download and then I got the AC68P and R7000. I get around 35 Mbit/s down consistently with Tomato on default and the AC68P router OC'd to 1200.

I tried another provider with different 256bit config in between and that reduced it to about 25 Mbit/s.

I am only taking about download speeds as I only use the OpenVPN client on the router.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!