What's new

Padavan's Custom Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I agree with ceeKayy with the signal levels. Many houses are not wired correctly and this can even exacerbate the signal quality. One thing, myself and others have to assume that most networks are installed correctly. I figure everyone by now would now about the SNR with cable modems, and made sure that the levels are close to perfect, and if not a separate line was dropped for it if possible.

Having poor SNR can be detected from the ISP's end too. You can call and say I am having issues with games and overall network quality can you check my signal, please. But it also can be an overloaded node, firmware of the modem that was not pushed, or even the ISP themselves. This router is more than capable, and the NAT mode is irrelevant, except for connection issues; and even the type of hardware acceleration will not create a problem. Only if there is a problem intrinsically with the acceleration will there be an issue. Acceleration only means that processing happens elsewhere that is usually faster than the host processor. No matter what the packet has to be processed.

As for bufferbloat, I have been on the Internet a long time. Used many networks to have my packets transmitted on the Internet, and I can say that I have NEVER experienced bufferbloat. If anything the first issue that comes to mind is poorly configured networks. Matter-of-fact, research that has been conducted has shown that if there is a problem with a network it is due to poor configurations of that network; and this can include the end user too. In theory it can happen, but if it truly did then there would be an Internet brown out that many would complain about.

In one example when I was with Comcast (Craptastic) there was a problem that I experienced. Which led me to check on it. Sure enough, the symptoms I was experiencing proved that something was wrong. After that I checked with a web site, that showed other people with the same service and area asking the same question. It took Comcast a while of finding, and free monthly credits, to find a router that was dysfunctional.

This is where I feel that the problem mainly resides for most that have posted here: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/padmanab/papers/draft-ietf-pilc-asym-03.txt.

Another Thing

Hey Guz,

i have the same problem, but your way didnt work out.
Maybe its my way of connecting the drives?

I have a 1TB HDD from Seagate (former internal HDD) and a 64GB SSD from Samsung (former internal SSD, together with the HDD they was in a AllInOne PC running) connected with a Orico 2Bay Hard Drive Docking Station over USB 3.0 to the router.
I got both of them formatted with Ext3 and i see booth of them in the "USB Application - Network Neighborhood Share" (see the Screenshot)
But nothing shows up on my TV. I tried your way, but nothing.

Any suggestions?

Update: after i set up again the whole thing and put the HDD and the SSD on NTFS, everything is great. The Mediaserver found the drives and i´m running now.
Thanks

First turn off minidlna. Then look for a hidden directory named ".dms" on your drive and delete that directory and all it's contents (don't worry it will all be rebuilt by minidlna)

Then check for capitalization.

Go to http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_AiDisk_samba.asp and expand the tree of your drive and see what is, or isn't, capitalized in the drive label name.

Example: I have a little USB drive connected up. I access it via my network computer by the name of: "\\rt-n56u\firefly" But in the router it is named "FireFly". So in the minidlna config it's "P,/media/FireFly" (minus the quotes, btw)

Start minidlna and sit back and wait awhile (depending on how much you are sharing). It should search and re-index and recreate the ".dms" hidden directory.

Attachments

• Samba.JPG
    Samba.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
Some ISP's have bandwidth limitations so if you use over their allowed data they will throttle your connection...some have lifted data caps over the last year, but some could still be doing it.

and the modem could be a bad unit...I bought a brand new Motorola SB6141 and as soon as I plugged it in it was making a high pitched noise so I had to return it...everything is not perfect you could have gotten a bad unit.

Check your modem signal levels through the webGUI most are by typing 192.168.100.1 into address bar...when signals are out of whack internet is affected more than cable/tv is.

I still do not see a way to check the modem signal levels within this custom firmware. I do not think that it's an option.

when you type 192.168.100.1 into the address bar it should take you to your modem login page after you login click on something like signals and check the signal levels.

I agree with ceeKayy with the signal levels. Many houses are not wired correctly and this can even exacerbate the signal quality. One thing, myself and others have to assume that most networks are installed correctly. I figure everyone by now would now about the SNR with cable modems, and made sure that the levels are close to perfect, and if not a separate line was dropped for it if possible.

Having poor SNR can be detected from the ISP's end too. You can call and say I am having issues with games and overall network quality can you check my signal, please. But it also can be an overloaded node, firmware of the modem that was not pushed, or even the ISP themselves. This router is more than capable, and the NAT mode is irrelevant, except for connection issues; and even the type of hardware acceleration will not create a problem. Only if there is a problem intrinsically with the acceleration will there be an issue. Acceleration only means that processing happens elsewhere that is usually faster than the host processor. No matter what the packet has to be processed.

As for bufferbloat, I have been on the Internet a long time. Used many networks to have my packets transmitted on the Internet, and I can say that I have NEVER experienced bufferbloat. If anything the first issue that comes to mind is poorly configured networks. Matter-of-fact, research that has been conducted has shown that if there is a problem with a network it is due to poor configurations of that network; and this can include the end user too. In theory it can happen, but if it truly did then there would be an Internet brown out that many would complain about.

In one example when I was with Comcast (Craptastic) there was a problem that I experienced. Which led me to check on it. Sure enough, the symptoms I was experiencing proved that something was wrong. After that I checked with a web site, that showed other people with the same service and area asking the same question. It took Comcast a while of finding, and free monthly credits, to find a router that was dysfunctional.

This is where I feel that the problem mainly resides for most that have posted here: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/padmanab/papers/draft-ietf-pilc-asym-03.txt.

I'm sorry but I am not familiar with SNR.

I was on RT-N56U_3.0.3.3-042 (en-ru). IPv6+IPv4. Linux kernel 3.0.61, and I moved files from my PC to the USB drive attached to the ASUS to be viewed with the Media Server. Files ARE NOT THERE, although the copy DID complete? In report #709 another person was complaining the catalog did not nor could not be updated? I reverted to 3-040 and it works fine. Something was broke I guess?

would you enable broadcast storm control? Doesn´t it increase latency? Is it neccesary to have it if I only have a modem an my Asus router?

I still do not see a way to check the modem signal levels within this custom firmware. I do not think that it's an option.

No, it's not seen through the router's GUI...just type 192.168.100.1 into the address bar like you were going on google.com it's just like accessing your router's GUI, but adding the zero's.

A little note, when installing the cable modem you will want it before or on the first split. In some houses the RG6 is split multiple times degrading the signal and some tech's do not care about this. If you cannot get to the modem diagnostic page it can be due to the fact that they have disable that feature; which is very asinine and can be due to limit their technical calls. You should be able to call them up and ask them to check your SNR anyways.

Open a browser and type 192.168.100.1. Just like you were to view the router's configuration pages by typing the default address 192.168.1.1 (or whatever private address you configured http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network) Examples: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7363

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal-to-noise_ratio
http://www.speedguide.net/articles/cable-modem-signal-levels-1197

would you enable broadcast storm control? Doesn´t it increase latency? Is it neccesary to have it if I only have a modem an my Asus router?
It is already enabled. It decreases latency and increaes performance when there is a broadcasting storm.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bro...e.0.57j0l3j62l2.2426&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

here for example:
http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/...l_and_FQ_CoDel

Network hardware (even in cheap hardware!) has grown "smart", with offload engines of various sorts. Modern network hardware has often sprouted various "offload" engines, unfortunately now often enabled by default, which tend to do more damage than good except for extreme benchmarking fanatics, often primarily on big server machines in data centers. Start by turning them off. We'll write more on this topic soon. The implementers of this "smart" hardware are less "smart" than they think they are.

Linux is a unique beast. There is some good informative information here, but there are a few issues with it and this can cause some comprehension problems. Linux is a very configurable and has broad support, supporting many platforms, architectures, et al. Due to this there is a inherent problem and also a great boon.

With Linux, architectures have to be compiled streamed-lined and literally pruned down to IRQ's at times. The issue he reports are mainly software, either due to the kernel itself, driver, or both-of course. I wish I can find this one example of the configurations that took place with a Red Hat server, it would blow your mind, and show you the complexity for what I mean and what really happens.

Windows, it's different due to the networking architecture being powerful but "limited" with its support. Most of the pruning has already taken place within the stack, and the driver is usually optimized properly (Intel drivers are good examples). Occasionally, there can be issues with the software (OS or driver), but this is why a critical system is based lined and configured properly just like Linux.

So, basically, as I said before poorly configured networks; and I think his example proves this somewhat; at least some due to the "default-y-ness" of Linux. There is a moment of mention a switch with bufferbloat, but again configuring the network is very particular; and note that switch is most likely configurable.

Basically, I would not worry for the basic Windows end user, and even Linux. I would worry more about your ISP's network, and how asymmetrical is the allocated bandwidth as per the article: http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/...lc-asym-03.txt.

I really agree with his statement of let packet be packets. If you are in networking you will know what we mean.

Last edited:
what do you mean I should check my Modem. (192.168.100.1)
I can see some things like downstream channel or upstream channel and so on. Is there a special point I should look for?

with disable offloading and disable the flow control the game experience has improved much for me. But one thing I can´t understand. With all Firmwares the games slow down if I Host the game. The game only slows down for me. I can see how my team mates run faster than me and have the feeling that I get held back. For some second it runs fast and then I get slowed down again.

Is here someone who knows how to solve this? What can be the Problem? Are there Settings I should use or shouldn´t use ?

why is it not possible to change MTU? I´m behind a Cablemodem. Can someone tell me why it is not Possible.

and the second thing.

My Modem has the IP 192.168.100.1 My Router 192.168.1.1
Would it not be better if my Router have 192.168.100.2 ?

with disable offloading and disable the flow control the game experience has improved much for me. But one thing I can´t understand. With all Firmwares the games slow down if I Host the game. The game only slows down for me. I can see how my team mates run faster than me and have the feeling that I get held back. For some second it runs fast and then I get slowed down again.

Is here someone who knows how to solve this? What can be the Problem? Are there Settings I should use or shouldn´t use ?

Shouldn't offloading increase performance?

why is it not possible to change MTU? I´m behind a Cablemodem. Can someone tell me why it is not Possible.

and the second thing.

My Modem has the IP 192.168.100.1 My Router 192.168.1.1
Would it not be better if my Router have 192.168.100.2 ?

No it doesn't matter what your local IP is its just a #
--
Chris

Shouldn't offloading increase performance?

No it doesn't matter what your local IP is its just a #
--
Chris

yes it should improve but it doesn´t. Like I write - if I disable it - the games run much better. I don´t know why. Maybe there is a Problem with offloading with xbox live or older Routers of your opponents? Also I disabled flow control because I read about that Pause Frames are not good and only cheap switches/Routers use them.

yes it should improve but it doesn´t. Like I write - if I disable it - the games run much better. I don´t know why. Maybe there is a Problem with offloading with xbox live or older Routers of your opponents?

Offloading does not effect the packet in such a way that that it will create a "problem" with X network. The packet is only offloaded from the processor. Meaning, as an example, instead of the processor doing the checksum for the packet the PPE will handle that.

The processor does not have an FPU and because of such many cycles are wasted using the FPU emulator just to compute the checksum. Basically, that is all that offloading is. Passing the load to something that is better and faster at it. The NAT offloading handles the rewrite of the header from public to private and vice versa, instead of the MIPS processor.

As for your reason(s) as to why I do not know why you experience your problems. But I can say that I never had an issue with XBox Live, and especially Battlefield 3; and many other games with offloading enabled. Can you explain your network a bit more, and also call your ISP to check your on your SNR if you cannot use the diagnostics of the modem. Curious, does that modem have any routing ability? What make and model is it?

Also I disabled flow control because I read about that Pause Frames are not good and only cheap switches/Routers use them.

Disabling flow control can actually cause some problems with some hardware (older), mainly non-modern and of lesser quality. However, hardware should be modern and quality good enough to not to worry now (generally speaking). The main issue had more to do with combining 10/100 with 1000 interfaces. If a frame was inserted to pause then the transfer could suffer by degrading the 1000 links. Which then would effect the higher transmission ability of the gigabit interfaces by lowering the link negotiated. This was mainly due to the frame being inserted to each connection of the layer 2 device rather than to the individual hosts. Honestly, I never experienced this, yet (work and personal).

Due to the nature of TCP it has flow control that, in theory, can handle the the bursty nature of packet better than the redundant layer 2 flow control. Technically speaking, you can have better throughput with this disabled by letting the endpoint communicate what they can handle. But flow control is being implemented no matter what. But with UDP it does not really work in the manner you are thinking, and that is the protocol that is used for gaming.

Offloading does not effect the packet in such a way that that it will create a "problem" with X network. The packet is only offloaded from the processor. Meaning, as an example, instead of the processor doing the checksum for the packet the PPE will handle that.

The processor does not have an FPU and because of such many cycles are wasted using the FPU emulator just to compute the checksum. Basically, that is all that offloading is. Passing the load to something that is better and faster at it. The NAT offloading handles the rewrite of the header from public to private and vice versa, instead of the MIPS processor.

As for your reason(s) as to why I do not know why you experience your problems. But I can say that I never had an issue with XBox Live, and especially Battlefield 3; and many other games with offloading enabled. Can you explain your network a bit more, and also call your ISP to check your on your SNR if you cannot use the diagnostics of the modem. Curious, does that modem have any routing ability? What make and model is it?

Disabling flow control can actually cause some problems with some hardware (older), mainly non-modern and of lesser quality. However, hardware should be modern and quality good enough to not to worry now (generally speaking). The main issue had more to do with combining 10/100 with 1000 interfaces. If a frame was inserted to pause then the transfer could suffer by degrading the 1000 links. Which then would effect the higher transmission ability of the gigabit interfaces by lowering the link negotiated. This was mainly due to the frame being inserted to each connection of the layer 2 device rather than to the individual hosts. Honestly, I never experienced this, yet (work and personal).

Due to the nature of TCP it has flow control that, in theory, can handle the the bursty nature of packet better than the redundant layer 2 flow control. Technically speaking, you can have better throughput with this disabled by letting the endpoint communicate what they can handle. But flow control is being implemented no matter what. But with UDP it does not really work in the manner you are thinking, and that is the protocol that is used for gaming.

thank you very much for your answer ! I can go to Statusside of my modem. What should I look for? (sorry for my english - not my first language).

The Modem is A Motorola Surboard SBV6120E.

I don´t know if the offloading help me or to disable the flow control. But my game experience is better. If you play Battlefield 3 it´s on servers isn´t it?

The most games in xbox live are P2P - and for that I need optimized Settings.

If I play Gears of war 2 (old game :)) and I get Host, the game lags/slows down for me but only for me. And can´t understand why. As the game was released I had a much worser Internetconnection like now and as Host no slow down was there. I read about that ther could be frame Issues with the xbox. But I don´t think so.

I am currently having the problem where websites seem to lag and not load until I disconnect and reconnect to the router. (wireless only issue).. there are other times where websites also take forever to load and seem to hang (over wired and wireless.. I have already tried changing the DNS and also having the individual computer use their own DNS.. doesn't work).. Anyone know what settings if any are causing the issues?

Is it with all devices your network?
Have you tried connecting directly to your modem? (bypassing the router)
Have you run an AV scan recently?

Is it with all devices your network?
Have you tried connecting directly to your modem? (bypassing the router)
Have you run an AV scan recently?

It is with all of the devices on my network. I have tried it directly to my modem and didn't see the lag issue. I also have run AV and spyware recently.

I actually found a way to fix the issue, which was by turning on IPV6.. I have no idea how this fixed the issue, but with ipv6 all of the websites are loading as fast as they should be.. or it could just be the placebo effect and i think they are loading faster

For testing point your browser at www.speedtest.net Try it with IPv6 off the on.

It truly might be faster with IPv6 on, if your ISP has flipped on IPv6. I can't verify, because my ISP is still sticking with IPv4 right now.

For testing point your browser at www.speedtest.net Try it with IPv6 off the on.

It truly might be faster with IPv6 on, if your ISP has flipped on IPv6. I can't verify, because my ISP is still sticking with IPv4 right now.

Thats whats odd about my situation.. In speed test on ipv4 and ipv6 etc, nothing changes and I am getting the max speed my ISP gives me on downloads.. its just the initial connection or DNS check where the page seems to get stuck when loading as "Sending request" or "Waiting for " about 50% of the time