What's new

Please help. Noob questions.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

prankster

New Around Here
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and have no deep knowledge in wireless networking.

I have an issue with my R7000 connection. My router is on the 2nd floor with a few open-wall obstructions. I have a PC on the 1st floor. It has TP-LINK Archer 1200AC USB adapter. No matter which connection I use, 2.4ghz or 5ghz, they aren't stable (slow speed and sometimes high ping).

The speed from the modem is excellent (up to 110mbps). What is going on with the unstable connection? Using INSSIDER, I picked less crowded channels (53 linkscore on 2.4ghz and 100 linkscore on 5ghz). The setting is all default from the factory, except I turned on QOS. Is this the culprit (based on a number of threads here saying QOS was bad)? I haven't had a chance to turn it off.

Thank you in advance!

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and have no deep knowledge in wireless networking.

I have an issue with my R7000 connection. My router is on the 2nd floor with a few open-wall obstructions. I have a PC on the 1st floor. It has TP-LINK Archer 1200AC USB adapter. No matter which connection I use, 2.4ghz or 5ghz, they aren't stable (slow speed and sometimes high ping).

The speed from the modem is excellent (up to 110mbps). What is going on with the unstable connection? Using INSSIDER, I picked less crowded channels (53 linkscore on 2.4ghz and 100 linkscore on 5ghz). The setting is all default from the factory, except I turned on QOS. Is this the culprit (based on a number of threads here saying QOS was bad)? I haven't had a chance to turn it off.

Thank you in advance!

Well the thing you want to find out is what your signal strength is by your pc. You can use inSSIDer for that. As wifi signal goes down speed follows. And it drops fast. I would turn QOS off. With internet speeds you have no need at all for QOS. Channels should be on 2.4 1,6 or 11. For 5ghz keep it in the 160 range. But frankly I would leave it set to auto.

After turning off QOS and setting channels to auto reboot the router. Then reboot pc and see what you have. If it is still slow walk toward the router with your laptop and inSSIDer running and see where the signal is best and worse. That will tell you whats going on. You may have a bad router placement.

Let us know what you learn.

Bob Silver
Netgear

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!