What's new

Port Forwarding in N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chaitu87

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,

I would like to setup port forwarding for my desktop through port 3389 in my router. Please show me how to create a DHCP assignment and forward my port number to my assigned IP. I am a total noob at this so please excuse any errors in my request. Thanks in advance.

1) Give Your desktop a static IP (from your router)
Advanced Settings -> LAN -> DHCP Server -> Manually Assigned IP

2) Then forward your chosen port to your desktop's IP (from above step)
Advanced Settings -> WAN -> Virtual Server / Port Forwarding-> Port Forwarding

1) Give Your desktop a static IP (from your router)
Advanced Settings -> LAN -> DHCP Server -> Manually Assigned IP

2) Then forward your chosen port to your desktop's IP (from above step)
Advanced Settings -> WAN -> Virtual Server / Port Forwarding-> Port Forwarding
Thanks Tazzi, I did as directed. But here is my dilema, I am trying to RDP from an office laptop to my desktop at home. I am unable to do so, but the RDP works in my LAN network at home from any other system but not from an external source. Please advise how to make this work.

As long as the PC you are trying to RDP into has a static IP , I think all you have to do is open port 3389 and direct it to that PC.

That site is not reliable...it shows port 80 (standard HTTP port) as being closed here, but I am browsing using HTTP on port 80 :eek:.

DrT

Finally I got it working by rebooting the router. DO I need the merlin firmware or am I good with the factory default 270 one? Thanks for the help everyone!!

If the router is doing all you need it to do, then ... ?
Merlin's firmware from what his mission statement says, just makes it better, bug fixes, minor enhancements ...
I personally am running Merlin's because he knows his stuff and he is much more responsive to bugs then a corporation ASUS's size can be.

Merlin's firmware from what his mission statement says, just makes it better, bug fixes, minor enhancements ...
I personally am running Merlin's because he knows his stuff and he is much more responsive to bugs then a corporation ASUS's size can be.
I will never use the stock firmware because of the above.

There are so many useful little tweaks that make Merlin's better than stock.