What's new

Port forwarding issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cpc1027

New Around Here
I'm trying to get my RT-AC66U to forward port 8123 to the Raspberry Pi that I have on my wireless network. I turned on port forwarding in the WAN menu, created a new item that forwards port 8123 to local port 8123 with the correct IP address and "Both" selected for the protocol, but when I check with canyouseeme.org, I get a "connection timed out" message. I can access the service locally, I just can't get the port to forward from the WAN. The only firewall that should be in the way is the router firewall since the Raspberry Pi doesn't have one. I'm running firmware version 380.63_2. Is there anything else that I'm missing with this that would cause the port forward to fail? I appreciate any help...

I'm having a similar problem with port forwarding on my RT-AC68U. Whenever I add a rule it says it's saving but when it's updated it hasn't saved it at all.

I'm on 380.63_2 as well (but had the issue before I updated).

Check your nvram utilization on the Tools > Sysinfo page. You need to keep about 5000 bytes free space for the router to work correctly. Port forwards failing are usually one of the first things affected.

Mine says "65548 / 65536 bytes" so looks like it's too high.

How to I change that (easily!)?

Ah, thanks. It looks like the VPN data no longer use could free up enough, but how do I get rid of that? I can't find it in any of the settings (none of the VPN ones have anything now);
http://imgur.com/a/lVyan
All the VPN data has already been moved to jffs by the firmware...it's other data that is using the space now.

Not sure I understand.... would the easiest resolution be to do a factory reset on the router and start it again? Would that clear down all the vmram?

I do need to be able to use port forwarding to get Plex working from away from home.

Thanks

Before you do a full reset, try this via telnet/ssh as it's the most common cause of overrunning nvram
Code:
nvram unset custom_clientlist
nvram commit

Then reboot the router. If you have custom client names, you will probably lose them (If you re-add them, watch the nvram space).

Otherwise, a factory reset may be necessary....from the link I gave

Otherwise, you'll need to do a factory default reset to get a baseline nvram used. Then start configuring things, checking the nvram utilization at each step. It's possible that you are just trying to use too many features simultaneously and overwhelming the router capability. At this point, it's decision time as to what you really need.

My NVRAM usage says 48447 / 65536 bytes, so that doesn't appear to be the problem. Any other suggestions?

My NVRAM usage says 48447 / 65536 bytes, so that doesn't appear to be the problem. Any other suggestions?
How are you testing? Are you really on an external network, or by using your external WAN address from you local lan?

How are you testing? Are you really on an external network, or by using your external WAN address from you local lan?

I checked with canyouseeme.org and turned off the wifi on my phone to try it over the 4g, both with the same result, "connection timed out"

I checked with canyouseeme.org and turned off the wifi on my phone to try it over the 4g, both with the same result, "connection timed out"
Leave the source port field blank. I just checked and canyouseeme.org uses a random source port.

Where is the source port field? When I go to canyouseeme.org, I see "Your IP" and "Port to Check" fields.

Never mind....I had a braincheck :oops:

Back to your problem.....what is your configuration? Are you in a double-NAT scenario? Are you connected to a modem that is in bridge mode? Double check that your router WAN IP is a public address and not private.

Also, when you test, is the Pi active (something must be listening when you test).

Also, since your are running a MIPS based router, check if your NAT loopback type is set to ASUS and not Merlin (it may affect things only if you are testing from your local lan, but let's get it out of the equation).

Running out of ideas....

Back to your problem.....what is your configuration? Are you in a double-NAT scenario? Are you connected to a modem that is in bridge mode? Double check that your router WAN IP is a public address and not private.

Also, when you test, is the Pi active (something must be listening when you test).

Also, since your are running a MIPS based router, check if your NAT loopback type is set to ASUS and not Merlin (it may affect things only if you are testing from your local lan, but let's get it out of the equation).

Running out of ideas....

The Pi is on, I made sure that I was able to access it from inside the network.

We're getting a little out of my depth here, but I think I may have a double-NAT going on. My router settings say "NAT Enabled", and so does the modem. If this is the problem, is do you have a recommendation on what to do about it? I tried a couple of things that I just found online (adding my router MAC to my modem DMZ NAT passthrough and enabling PPPoE relay on the router), but all they did was kill my internet connection from my computer, so I may have messed something up.

Before you do a full reset, try this via telnet/ssh as it's the most common cause of overrunning nvram
Code:
nvram unset custom_clientlist
nvram commit

Then reboot the router. If you have custom client names, you will probably lose them (If you re-add them, watch the nvram space).

Otherwise, a factory reset may be necessary....from the link I gave

Thanks, I did that and it cleared down all the custom names, but after doing that I thought I may as well just restore it. I tend to have most devices given IP addresses as well, which added to the load, so I've re-done it with only essential devices static, mobile devices, etc may as well stay dynamic.

Many thanks, port forwarding all working now! :)

Running out of ideas....

I got it figured out - the problem was the double NAT. I just forwarded the desired port from my modem to my router, then from the router to the Pi. I don't know if this is the best way, but it worked. Thanks for the suggestions, you put me on the right track!

I got it figured out - the problem was the double NAT. I just forwarded the desired port from my modem to my router, then from the router to the Pi. I don't know if this is the best way, but it worked. Thanks for the suggestions, you put me on the right track!
Usually the best way is to try and put your modem in bridge mode, so the router get's the external WAN address. But if you can't do that, you came up with the right solution! Good work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online