What's new

Port Forwarding Problem D-Link AC 3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lydnsn

Occasional Visitor
Good morning. I am having a problem forwarding ports on my new D-Link router. I am trying to set up remote desktop. I have set up the computer for remote access. I have opened ports 3389 on said machine. I have checked to make sure ports are indeed open. On my router I have forwarded incoming requests to port 3389 but when I try to connect it just hangs for a while and then I get a message saying server has timed out or can not be found. I can access my routers admin page just fine though. I have dynamic DNS. I have the router set up so when I enter hostname.info:8080 it goes to my routers admin page so I know the ddns is working. Could there be some other setting on the computer that is blocking remote access . I am really confused. If I can access the router remotely why can't I access the computer also . I have given the computer a static IP as well and pointed it to that IP . Thanks

You may need to forward the port above too. When i used to host valve game servers behind a router i would port forward 27015 and 27016 to 27015 and it not only made the server work but made it appear on the server list like normal when everyone else was unable to do that at that time.

I strongly suggest that you use VPN instead of port forwarding for security reasons since a port scan with a brute force attack even if not successful can cause the software listening on that port to hang or cause the windows networking stack to malfunction which has happened numerous times before when i stress test high performance routers that are faster than my high end PC.

If it still doesnt work, do a router reset or change or update the firmware and if it still doesnt work than get a different router. Dlink doesnt do well both firmware and hardware compared to other brands.

Make sure you can access the computer from LAN first

You may need to forward the port above too. When i used to host valve game servers behind a router i would port forward 27015 and 27016 to 27015 and it not only made the server work but made it appear on the server list like normal when everyone else was unable to do that at that time.

I strongly suggest that you use VPN instead of port forwarding for security reasons since a port scan with a brute force attack even if not successful can cause the software listening on that port to hang or cause the windows networking stack to malfunction which has happened numerous times before when i stress test high performance routers that are faster than my high end PC.

If it still doesnt work, do a router reset or change or update the firmware and if it still doesnt work than get a different router. Dlink doesnt do well both firmware and hardware compared to other brands.

Make sure you can access the computer from LAN first

Thankyou for the reply. I seem to have got it to work. I followed your advice and connected with a VPN. It connects to the remote network no problem and then i can connect to the computer with the windows Remote Desktop using its ip address. Im a little puzzled about a couple things though it changed the ip of the remote computer to something different than i set it at. I gve it a static ip of 192.168.99.2 and it changed it to 199.168.99.105. Its not a big deal as long as i know what it is. I am just curious. I dont seem to be getting the true live desktop either . I have access to some things but not all things. Whenever i try to use something like windows media player for example it is asking me if i want to install it and which version i would like to install when i know for a fact that it is already installed and working on the machine. There is another program i am trying to access also it is called Pro Presenter . Its a presentation program that i know is working just fine but when i try to open it everything is gone from the program it is aking me for a user key like it is a new install. Could this have something to do with user accounts and different privaleges. Thanks for your help

Normally on windows i disable both the hardware and service for remote desktop and i use teamviewer instead because it does a much better job. Some network based programs you need to install on the right system instead or on both systems so make sure you select the right options/license.

Whenever you use remote desktop software dont do it plainly over the internet, always use encrypted VPN as it reduces the chance of a hijack or monitoring.

+1 for TeamViewer. Much simpler and doesn't require punching holes in your firewall.