What's new

Port forwarding through VPN tunnel?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

icsy7687

Occasional Visitor
I have a couple of FreeBSD jails and VM's that are being tunneled through my VPN serverice and I am having trouble getting the ports opened. I originally was using a Padavan firmware on an Asus RT-N56U and I had everything working correctly and http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ was able to successfully see the port opened.

I ran into some trouble with this router when I realized that the single core CPU could not keep up and I was losing packets. So I now have an ASUS RT-AC68U with Merlin's firmware on it (I love the selective routing and not having to do this with an ugly script now!).

The only issue is I cannot get one of my previously opened ports "open" now. I tried this thread:
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/port-forward-while-using-vpn-client.28014/

and ran:
Code:
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun11 -p udp -d 192.168.2.42 --dport 61370 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun11 -p tcp -d 192.168.2.42 --dport 61370 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i tun11 -p tcp --dport 61370 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.42
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -i tun11 -p udp --dport 61370 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.42

I ran an ifconfig on the router and found that it was indeed using tun11, and changed the ports and IP address accordingly. I ran the code with no errors, but the port is still showing as closed. Any suggestions? I am at a bit of a loss.

Meh... Solved it. I noticed some funky behavior in the VPN client. For instance, the "Interface" drop down box was completely blank. I did a factory reset, rebuilt my DHCP and Virtual Server/Port forwarding list and ran the above (Actually only ran the pre-routing) and I am getting an "open" port using the yougetsignal page.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!