What's new

Port forwarding weird

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxl96

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,
I just came accross a weird thing.
When I enable port forwarding for my NAS I can access it remotely without any problems.
But when I disable port forwarding I still can access my NAS from an external device when I'm using the same browser. I can refresh the page and use the service.
When I use an incognito tab in the browser I cannot access it anymore like it should be.

What is the cause and why is it that way?

Browser caching?

If you close the browser you're using and then re-launch it, it shouldn't be able to connect.

Seems like you are right, when I close the browser and reopen it it's not able to connect anymore.
I thought when I press F5 it shouldn't be able to connect as well.

Seems like you are right, when I close the browser and reopen it it's not able to connect anymore.
I thought when I press F5 it shouldn't be able to connect as well.

F5 only refreshes what it already 'has'. CTRL F5 may work as you expect (it may depend on the browser you're using).

Actually closing the browser and then re-launching it is equivalent to restarting Windows. :)

Actually closing the browser and then re-launching it is equivalent to restarting Windows.

That won't bypass the on-disk cache. Still need a forced refresh.

Then it's still weird for me :D
I thought when a website is unreachable the browser should display that when I press F5.

Edit:
Can someone try what happens with a service when a port forward is enabled and disabled again?

Step 1: enable port forward
Step 2: access the forwarded service from an external device
Step 3: disable port forward
Step 4: see if the external device is still able to refresh the page

Thanks in advance.

Edit2:
I just tried again with my Synology NAS and when I activate port forwarding on port 5001 I can access the NAS. After disabling all port forwards I am still able to browse and navigate to different files on the NAS so it's not a caching thing. When I close the tab I can still connect to my NAS. But only when I close the browser it doesn't let me connect again as it's supposed to be.

So what is happening here?
Is it possible that the browser holds an active session and that session is not closed when the port forward is being disabled?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!