What's new

Possible stability issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zolt

Occasional Visitor
Hi there.
We had some freezing rain and a multi-day power failure.
When it came back, it was the internet provider that had issues (still have after over 24hrs!!!)
I've been watching the main page of my router (Network Map on an ASUS RT-AC66U_B1, with Merlin 384.10_2)
After about 1 hour, the page becomes unresponsive, and I can't even SSH to the router.
My assumption - and sorry maybe it's a total stupid one - is that the router tries to connect to the ISP every couple seconds, keeps a log of what happens, and eventually fills up the memory or something...
Of course, my router might have suffered from the multiple sudden shutdowns since the power failure, so that might be another direction...

I have yet to see if it behaves normally once ISP fixed the issue....

Hope this gives an idea to someone :)

Hey! While I write this (from a wifi hotspot on my phone) the connection just came back! Hope it stays.
I'll update this post if the problem persists and the router becomes unstable after 1 hour or so.

It's been close to 2 hours since internet came back, and the router is still available and stable.
It really looks like an issue when the ISP is down after a little while.
Anybody has an idea? Maybe I have something mis-configured?

Thanks!

Why do you think you want to change something if it is working? ;)

What I could recommend is that if the power goes off regularly in your area, invest in a UPS for your modem/ONT and router. :)

Hi there.
Thanks for the suggestion - I already have a UPS that holds for about 1/2 hour.
The power doesn't go off often in my area. It's just that we go freezing rain and that caused some power and Internet faillure that lasted almost 48 hours.

My post was just that I reported a strangness that never occured before since I normally have internet connection.
This time, the ISP was down, and the router was acting up after about 1 hour of trying to connect.

For now, all is back to normal (since I have internet back), but again, I wanted to flagg this as a possible issue that might be looked at. ...or maybe it's my configuration that is flawed?

Hi there.
Thanks for the suggestion - I already have a UPS that holds for about 1/2 hour.
The power doesn't go off often in my area. It's just that we go freezing rain and that caused some power and Internet faillure that lasted almost 48 hours.

My post was just that I reported a strangness that never occured before since I normally have internet connection.
This time, the ISP was down, and the router was acting up after about 1 hour of trying to connect.

For now, all is back to normal (since I have internet back), but again, I wanted to flagg this as a possible issue that might be looked at. ...or maybe it's my configuration that is flawed?

It's good that you have a USP. However, when the power goes out for so long, unplug everything you value from the wall sockets, and wait for the power to be fully restored first.

I don't see this as an issue to be flagged? If the router and modem and the rest of the devices were hit on/off or hit by a huge power surge/brown out when power was trying to get restored, it will give all kinds of strangeness. Having a UPS won't help to protect anything in those situations, physically disconnect everything from the power grid and wait it out. :)

It's good that you have a USP. However, when the power goes out for so long, unplug everything you value from the wall sockets, and wait for the power to be fully restored first.

I don't see this as an issue to be flagged? If the router and modem and the rest of the devices were hit on/off or hit by a huge power surge/brown out when power was trying to get restored, it will give all kinds of strangeness. Having a UPS won't help to protect anything in those situations, physically disconnect everything from the power grid and wait it out. :)
Ok. Let me put this a bit differently. Forget about the power faillure.
Is it normal behaviour that if the router can not connect to my isp that it becomes unstable at a point that I can't load the management page or log in through SSH?

Thanks.

Is it normal behaviour that if the router can not connect to my isp that it becomes unstable at a point that I can't load the management page or log in through SSH?

Thanks.

Of course not. The power failure though wasn't just local to you and your ISP, when one has the power, the other might not have it still.

We can't forget about the power failure either. There is also the issue of power surges (overvoltage and under-voltage as everyone on the grid gets and soaks power at the same time) that most likely contributed to this situation. How many times did the router initiate a partial start and then didn't have enough voltage to continue, yet, wasn't able to turn off either? ;)

For Asus or anyone else to fully check out these types of situations is near impossible. :rolleyes:

Of course not. The power failure though wasn't just local to you and your ISP, when one has the power, the other might not have it still.

We can't forget about the power failure either. There is also the issue of power surges (overvoltage and under-voltage as everyone on the grid gets and soaks power at the same time) that most likely contributed to this situation. How many times did the router initiate a partial start and then didn't have enough voltage to continue, yet, wasn't able to turn off either? ;)

For Asus or anyone else to fully check out these types of situations is near impossible. :rolleyes:

L&LD - your suggestion running all attched drives to Router in USB2.0 mode rather than USB3.0 mode to reduce interference in the 2.4GHZ band is excellent. It has helped my RSSI noise 2.4ghz threshold to go from -77dbm to -92dbm and has allowed me to connect to two clients in my shed - well away from the router - that were showing RSSI levels of -90dbm. These two clients are now within the noise threshold and I get consistent connection right throughout the day. Thank you for your contribution.

L&LD - your suggestion running all attched drives to Router in USB2.0 mode rather than USB3.0 mode to reduce interference in the 2.4GHZ band is excellent. It has helped my RSSI noise 2.4ghz threshold to go from -77dbm to -92dbm and has allowed me to connect to two clients in my shed - well away from the router - that were showing RSSI levels of -90dbm. These two clients are now within the noise threshold and I get consistent connection right throughout the day. Thank you for your contribution.

Not all suggested 'best practices' work for everyone, equally, glad to see it was beneficial for you. ;)

Thanks.
I have a RT-AC66U_B1. A couple of settings I use:
Wan-DHCP Query Frequency Agressive
Administration System Network Monitoring uncheck both.

My ISP dhcp renewal is 15 minutes. I also run Stubby.
My UPS kicked in several times this winter but the power was never off for more than 15 minutes. The pine trees in the back yard did not survive the ice too well and are now gone but the stumps...

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!