What's new

Potential heat issues (April's Fool on webui)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
First, I have to apoligize. People who were worrying about heat issues were right.

It seems like that the amount of heat generated by those routers is more problematic than first expected. In the 374.40 release, I changed the way the webui was generated by the router. Unfortunately, looks like that the glue that was used to keep everything together isn't very heat-resistant.

Based on my estimations, I expect bits of the webui to become excessively fragile starting on April 1st. So, if you log into your webui on that day and you are running 374.40, be careful while navigating the webui, as bits might start falling off.

Recommendations:
- Make sure your router is well ventilated and not into a small closed space
- Inspect your webui for any sign of deterioration. You can try pushing back any falling bit, but I suspect that might not work if the glue has melted
- Avoid transferring large archives, as the fat bits might cause friction, which would in turn generate even more heat
- The radiation leak that might result from this isn't 100% lethal.

Sorry about that. I'll see if I can put together a workaround in a future release.

Last edited:
Yes! I noticed this. I was able to set up an ad-hoc water-cooling system before heading to work this morning. Assuming there are no plumbing leaks all should be well in the meantime. I have been you-tubing oil-immersion cooling set-ups, and have came to the conclusion that a smallish fish-tank wouldn't look too out of place. I'll report back later.

I just did a quick mineral oil cooling setup. I submerged my Asus rt-n66U in mineral oil. Simlar to this setup.
nzpr42.jpg

My webui should be safe from falling apart. I'm crossing my fingers this will be enough to save my router from catching fire. I hope Katniss Everdeen will help me out here.

After trying everything else I could think of to prevent my router from melting, I am now using a large fan blowing air through ice packs at the router. Just keeping my fingers crossed!

Looks like a few strong drinks have been spilled in and around the router. Damn thing just needs to sober up!

Crashed

My webui really collapsed!! haha!:D:D

Clapped1.jpg

It's not a PS image, seriously!

Last edited:
Really freaked me out this morning when I saw that...

Attachments

• asuswrt wtf.jpg
    asuswrt wtf.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 732
Oh gee... with my overclocking tendencies I am worried not only about UI falling apart, but also the router getting local overheating (where the heatsink has moved away due to the glue issues) and starting fire. Add that little fan which blows air on my OC-ed router, and the fire will spread thru the house like a hurricane...

I need to run tomorrow morning to get first in line for the local NCIX store and get a water cooling kit...man, just got the router back today!

I also noticed this issue, I will try tweak the routers flux capacitor and report back shortly.

Anyone else seen this before? Have I been hacked?

Check the picture, I never noticed this before.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 541
Based on my estimations, I expect bits of the webui to become excessively fragile starting on April 1st. So, if you log into your webui on that day and you are running 374.40, be careful while navigating the webui, as bits might start falling off.
Wow,

You prediction was right: Exactly on April 1st both of my routers began to fall appart in the webui.

Luckely I have two big fans in my cellear, which I can use to cool the routers: :eek:
mSdIS12IGs2frBydGC8dCOg.jpg

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.