What's new

Powersave mode doesn't work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gjf

Hi!

My notebook is working under Windows 10 x64 Pro using Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 WiFi adapter. The driver is the latest.

Settings of the adapter are:
802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4 = Auto
802.11n Mode = Enabled
Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g = 1
Ad Hoc QoS Mode = WMM Enabled
ARP offroad for WoWLAN = Enabled
Bluetooth AMP = Enabled
Fat Channel Intolerant = Disabled
GTK rekeying for WoWLAN = Enabled
Mixed Mode Protection = CTS-to-self Enabled
NS offroad for WoWLAN = Enabled
Roaming Aggressiveness = 3.Medium
Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect = Enabled
Transmit Power = 5.Highest
Wake in Magic Packet = Enabled
Wake on Pattern Match = Enabled
Wireless Mode = 3.802.11b/g

I am using RT-AC68U router with latest Merlin firmware. The settings of WiFi are displayed at screenshots below.

I am very happy with 300 Mbs speed at normal mode, but every time I am trying to use my notebook when working from the battery the WiFi drops down immediately when powersave flag is applied:

I believe the problem is described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928152

So what is wrong with the settings? Why powersave mode doesn't work?

I believe the reference to Mobile devices is phones / tablets - hand held devices. Have you tested your laptop using Ethernet cable, to see if you get more, or less, the same result? There are power saving mode setting on laptops which can conserve battery power. Just don't enable power saving mode on your wireless adapter.

Anyway, with all this said, it could be that your battery is aging. They don't last forever..

netwrks, did you ever try to read the link I have provided?
One again: all my devices work correctly with the settings of router.
Notebook work correctly with all other WiFi routers as well as using LAN.
The problem occurs when it sends powersave flag to my AC-RT68U.
Sure if the router works with this flag incorrectly I have to disable powersave mode on my notebook, but I really wonder why it occurs with latest Merlin firmware.

The comment about the battery... man, are you kidding?

netwrks, did you ever try to read the link I have provided?
One again: all my devices work correctly with the settings of router.
Notebook work correctly with all other WiFi routers as well as using LAN.
The problem occurs when it sends powersave flag to my AC-RT68U.
Sure if the router works with this flag incorrectly I have to disable powersave mode on my notebook, but I really wonder why it occurs with latest Merlin firmware.

The comment about the battery... man, are you kidding?

From looking at my devices, when they are in Power Save mode (device is idle), they do the same thing. As your example. When I use the device, (do a speedtest) the device leaves power save mode immediately, and the throughput, is back to normal.
If you device is staying in power save mode, when you are using it, (none of mine do) maybe it's a Windows 10 wireless client adapter issue. Was this the same issue with a previous version of Merlin FW?

I believe the problem is described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928152

So what is wrong with the settings? Why powersave mode doesn't work?
That article is of course written from a Microsoft perspective (It must be the AP since all our wireless drivers do it correctly :rolleyes:). I think it's more likely, that there is just a mismatch between the various vendor implementations, possible on either side.

In any event, change the 'Enable WMM APSD' setting to Disable on the Wireless>Professional page to turn off the algorithm they talking about on the router. See if it makes a difference.

In any event, change the 'Enable WMM APSD' setting to Disable on the Wireless>Professional page to turn off the algorithm they talking about on the router. See if it makes a difference.
No, it doesn't help.
I've changed the setting, but as long as flags become "PSTAU" from "STAU" the connection is lost.

OK, looks like the driver is source of problems.
When I changed Bluetooth AMP to "disabled" the router stops adding powersave flag and the connection works.
I really wonder what is wrong with shirtty Intel to make such bugs (there is no link between Bluetooth AMP technology and power saving at all I think).
Possibly I have switched off that option previously - can't remember.

I made a post yesterday about intel wireless, seems they buggy.

I would use my dongle again but the usb ports on my new laptop are not in good positions for the dongle.

Also when Notebook enters sleep mode it cannot connect to WiFi after wake up. Even reboot doesn't help - only router reboot.
Will investigate how to overcome it... damned Intel!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!