What's new

[Preview] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.4 test builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fist time seeing the link this high.... Between an 86u and 87u in media bridge mode. Both routers are running the alpha 2 test builds.

Parent AP status :
Connected
Band: 5GHz
Link rate: 1170 Mbps
RSSI: -48 dBm

Android WiFi Analyzer app shows the speed as 144mbps (same as 384.3 builds) . But the stock firmware 866mbps.

AC66u B1 router / Snapdragon 808 phone, that should support 866mbps

Didn't install it yet, but just want to say a big Thanks to the developer. I'm glad 87U is in the business again, as I was going to throw it away (purchased the router less than 2 years ago) after its firmware development was stopped for a while... Will surely install the final release.

Didn't install it yet, but just want to say a big Thanks to the developer. I'm glad 87U is in the business again, as I was going to throw it away (purchased the router less than 2 years ago) after its firmware development was stopped for a while... Will surely install the final release.
Rather than throw it away, send it to me!

246kjz4.png
246kjz4.png

I installed 384.4 on my AC86U, the IPSEC VPN is 20 to 35 % faster then openvpn.
Do you know the max ipsec throughput? What was the OpenVPN throughput?

jasonho said:
I installed 384.4 on my AC86U, the IPSEC VPN is 20 to 35 % faster then openvpn.

Do you know the max ipsec throughput? What was the OpenVPN throughput?

I just do a test,

without vpn, my phone got 63.88 Mbps/dl, 76 Mbps/upload, ping 5 ms
with openvpn to home got 19.18 Mbps/ dl, 30.56 Mbps/ul ping 11 ms
with ipsec vpn to home 49.6 Mbps /dl, 38.75 Mbps/ul pint time 12 ms
with (v2ary +nginx tls ) 46.72 Mbps/dl, 27.8 Mbps upload ping time 29 ms

Lan go out
at home with wifi out 236.67 Mbps dl, 294.7 Mbs/ul ping time 5 ms
with cable from pc 938 Mbps dl, 750 Mbps /ul ping time 5 ms

so openvpn is must slower than ipsec (AC86U)
thanks.

Last edited:
Android WiFi Analyzer app shows the speed as 144mbps (same as 384.3 builds) . But the stock firmware 866mbps.

AC66u B1 router / Snapdragon 808 phone, that should support 866mbps
Nominal connect speeds have no particular relation to useful, error-free data transmission rates. Particularly in the wifi world where links are constantly shifting link speed to conserve power.

For example, am often having Linux boxes showing 1mbps reported link speed, that when connected to fast.com are carrying 40mbps.

So do you know the stock firmware vs Merlin actual measured data carrying results?

Nominal connect speeds have no particular relation to useful, error-free data transmission rates. Particularly in the wifi world where links are constantly shifting link speed to conserve power.

For example, am often having Linux boxes showing 1mbps reported link speed, that when connected to fast.com are carrying 40mbps.

So do you know the stock firmware vs Merlin actual measured data carrying results?
I'm curious why latest factory firmware shows 866mbps & merlin indicates just 144mbps. Unfortunately, I don't have high-speed internet ( my internet connection around 20mbps) to test the data carrying rates. so basically the data carrying rate won't effect me, but just problamatic when i see it :

I decided to let Linux handle the memory on my AC3100 and AC68U. That is to disable memory management. The network map ram usage graph would freak most people out as it sits at about 87% to 92% utilized. The tools/sysinfo shows the real memory usage in the memory section. Linux caches a lot of memory if its available. I have noticed no impact to performance at any time. I have thoroughly tested the QOS and download speeds with no impact as well. So should any one else do this? I've noticed really great stability with the alpha 2. My swap file has only used 3 meg of its 1 gig size during all this testing. I can't recommend either way (flushing cache or maintaining cache) but the graph on the network map will scare most people...:eek:

Ok so I upgraded the RT-5300 to 384.4 and the router would not load the web interface. I ended up resetting the router by holding the wps button until the router started flashing. At this time it took about 10 min to boot and every thing worked fine. I did need to reconfigure the router but after that everything is working fine.
Thanks @RMerlin for your hard work in this.

I decided to let Linux handle the memory on my AC3100 and AC68U. That is to disable memory management. The network map ram usage graph would freak most people out as it sits at about 87% to 92% utilized. The tools/sysinfo shows the real memory usage in the memory section. Linux caches a lot of memory if its available. I have noticed no impact to performance at any time. I have thoroughly tested the QOS and download speeds with no impact as well. So should any one else do this? I've noticed really great stability with the alpha 2. My swap file has only used 3 meg of its 1 gig size during all this testing. I can't recommend either way (flushing cache or maintaining cache) but the graph on the network map will scare most people...:eek:

I also let the kernel handle the memory management. It does take some getting used to seeing your memory graphs always high. I also believe the system will run better since the kernel does a good job of both caching frequently used pages and managing the memory when an application wants more.
Who am I to disagree with the kernel developers - let them decide when/how to flush/use the memory ;-)

Does anyone know what the Quantenna Firmware version is on the 87U with this new 384 branch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!