What's new

[Q] Slow Internet Speeds on new ASUS RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ombadboy

New Around Here
So I just purchased an ASUS RT-AC88U to replace my Sky Router (still keeping it as a modem) but I've been having all sorts of issues with it, especially with the WAN speeds I am getting.

Here is my setup :

Sky Hub -- Ethernet --> ASUS RT-AC88U ---- Ethernet ---> 500mbit Powerline

500mbit Powerline --- Ethernet ---> PC

My set-up before was exactly the same, the only difference instead of going via the ASUS router, it was directly from the Sky Hub.

I've noticed that since hooking up my ASUS router, speedtest shows half the download speed I would normally get (30mbit vs 76mbit). In addition, I have noticed quite a few issues when streaming video content.

At first I thought that it was QoS that was causing the issues, which turned out to not be the case, as my speeds had not been improved. I am also on the latest official ASUS firmware if that makes any difference (1354).

Any ideas what might be going wrong here?

Last edited:
It's because you are using the sky hub as a router get a bt modem to replace sky hub I have sky fibre with my bt modem and 88u connected I get 76mbps download on wireless is the sky hub that's causing the issue also make sure the bt modem your get matches your cabinet

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I, too, am having problems with this router.

I just installed an RT-AC88u to replace a Linksys router that also supported 802.11ac and worked fine. (One of our cats puked on it, thereby frying the Wi-Fi.)

We have Comcast's top-tier consumer-grade cable modem service. Setup appeared to go smoothly, but latency and speed have been dreadful for both wired (coax via MoCA) and WiFi connections on both the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands. The connection to our Roku broke down repeatedly.

Called tech support, which had me reset the modem and then re-install the latest firmware. No joy. It takes a minute or two for us to even access the web interface on a Mac hard wired to a LAN port on the router--a couple of times it has timed out.

I am going to call back tomorrow (it took forever to reinstall the firmware since we had to download it on a different network because it was going to take a couple of hours to download on the Mac), but wondered if anyone else had experienced this sort of problem. I know it's not Comcast as we have no problem when connecting directly to the Mac.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!