What's new

Qnap vs Synology

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gorak

Occasional Visitor
Guys,

Need some serious advise on this. I'm currently on the hunt for a single-bay NAS device for home lab stuff. I did some extensive research and finally came up with the following two choices. I need your help in deciding between the following two.

1. Qnap TS-112P

2. Synology DS114

Barring the difference in processor speed (Qnap has an edge) the above two products are almost equal. Of course the Synology is a bit pricier - around $50 more than the Qnap

I'll be creating a large number of iSCSI volumes which will be accessed from inside Virtual Machines, so iSCSI performance should alteast be decent. I'd also be doing a lot of testing on NFS.

Pls advise which one will be best NAS device for my requirement.

You can't go wrong with either.

I personally use two Synology NASes, prefer the interface, support & upgrade cycles.

What are you looking for for iSCSI performance. With a Marvell-based NAS, don't expect miracles.

Haven't tested either of your candidates. But for reference the TS-112 (not P)
produced 30 MB/s iSCSI writes and 48 MB/s reads.

What are you looking for for iSCSI performance. With a Marvell-based NAS, don't expect miracles.

Haven't tested either of your candidates. But for reference the TS-112 (not P)
produced 30 MB/s iSCSI writes and 48 MB/s reads.
I expect to see atleast 60-70MB/s for writes and 80-100MB/s for Reads. Will this be possible with either of these drives?

I get close to that with just gigabit LAN and large (100's of MB) files so that the overhead is lower. Low-end NAS with ordinary 7200RPM drives, and with SMB overhead.
Most people know by now that file transfer speeds for numerous smaller files is constrained by disk and file system overhead, mostly from PCs that are involved with the transfer.

Last edited:
I think the QNAP is better. Let me know if there is anything that I can assist you with.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!