What's new

QoS Problems AC56U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hyelton

So.. Its starting to get a little aggregating. Im running the lastest non beta firmware.

First off ALL standard /default QoS settings.

First I'd like to use Traditional QoS, BUT my problem with that, is ONCE an upload is started and about a min after it stops my download is throttled to around 1Mbps.. even though I have download QoS set to 100%. 1Mbps is awful!

Okay so I try Adaptive. Okay Download/Uploads are fine. BUT even though Its set to 1.5Mbps for the upload, my uploads STILL upload at my full 2Mbps and Ping shoots up to over 1,000.

So adaptive does not really work, And Tradtional works, but it throttles my download speed awfully.

Any suggestions?

All previous routers, I usually set my upload to about 1.9Mbps and I get good/decent download results while uploading usually about half or over half of my download speed while uploading.

EDIT: even going into User priorities and under Download setting everything to 0 to disable it. Still same results.

Anyone not have any input? If I cannot get this tonight, I'm sadly going to have to return it. I've tried everything

im not sure how it works on consumer routers but to get QoS working you must reserve a tiny bit of upload for downloads in order for programs to request data. Also set your internet bandwidth to 80-90% of what your ISP gives.

im not sure how it works on consumer routers but to get QoS working you must reserve a tiny bit of upload for downloads in order for programs to request data. Also set your internet bandwidth to 80-90% of what your ISP gives.

Like I set everything is set correctly... Its clearly a issue with the software. Happens on Both ASUS and Merlin firmwares. On traditional settings NO matter what its set to it does NOT limit my upload speed.
And adaptive just works on and off. One min everything is fine after starting upload and few seconds later its like I turned QoS off.

I might just go back to my R6300V2

Looking back, I had this issue about a year ago on a new RT-N66U which I ended up returning due to Traffic Monitor Bugs and QoS problems.

Which this one does seem to have a small Traffic Monitor bug as it random times it says I'm doing 200Mbps wan which is NOT at all possible.

If you read in your first post you used percentages and priorities whereas in consumer routers hard set bandwidth limits work better. For example reserve 0.5 Mb/s of upload for your downloads and the same for your upload, than reserve more bandwidth on the direction for different things. Setting the percentage of QoS to 100% bandwidth is known to not work.

If you read in your first post you used percentages and priorities whereas in consumer routers hard set bandwidth limits work better. For example reserve 0.5 Mb/s of upload for your downloads and the same for your upload, than reserve more bandwidth on the direction for different things. Setting the percentage of QoS to 100% bandwidth is known to not work.

I'm only setting Download to 100% as I do not want download QoS to work. Upload is not set to 100% Also you don't have a choice under adaptive which I also have problems with. See screenshot, You can clearly see when upload started and ended. And this is having my upload set to ONLY 1Mbps but yet its like its not even on at all as its using the FULL 2Mbps

Attachments

• ping.PNG
    ping.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
And Adaptive I have found no does SORT of work. I can upload from my desktop which is wired just fine and the internet be fine. But forbid my iPhone uploading a video to YouTube the whole Internet acts as if I turned QoS off. Its like Adaptive works halfway.

Are you sure your upload and download settings are correct and in the right fields ?

Yes. I'm no where near a router noob. I usually get something new every 6 months or so just to play around with something new.

Also keep in mind there's a few things bugged with the firmware. Like the BW monitor for example states I spike out a 200mbps. I wish lol my cable connection is only 24mbps.

Not much to show on adaptive. As you can see. One min it will work, Next it my internet acts like I turned it off and it allows FULL upload speed.

Attachments

• 11.PNG
    11.PNG
    401.7 KB · Views: 623
  • 222.PNG
    222.PNG
    226.3 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
And I clearly do not have that kind of internet speed.. My RT-N66U about a year ago was worse than this when it came to the Traffic Monitor though. So it is a bug.

Attachments

• lpol.PNG
    lpol.PNG
    152.7 KB · Views: 600
And here it is when QoS is NOT applying to wireless devices. Its when I think, Oh I fixed it, and then I start backing up my iPhone to the cloud and well I guess QoS does not apply to that. Never had a router do this before besides that RT-N66u from the past. I'm prob just going to return it today.

Attachments

• not apply.PNG
    not apply.PNG
    216.5 KB · Views: 329
hyelton, you say your download speed is 24 megabits/s, but the screen-shot shows 30 .
To work correctly adaptive QoS (possibly traditional too, but I’ve never used traditional) need both upload and download speeds not being set too high - which is rarely what your ISP states (e.g start with 90% of your rated bandwidth).

I'd try 1.8 up and 22 down for adaptive QoS and see if that works/helps.
I'd also try a factory reset.

Cheers, Nick

hyelton, you say your download speed is 24 megabits/s, but the screen-shot shows 30 .
To work correctly adaptive QoS (possibly traditional too, but I’ve never used traditional) need both upload and download speeds not being set too high - which is rarely what your ISP states (e.g start with 90% of your rated bandwidth).

I'd try 1.8 up and 22 down for adaptive QoS and see if that works/helps.
I'd also try a factory reset.

Cheers, Nick

I did not want QoS to affect my download at all. Resets had been done, Both stock and Merlin. But setting even at 20 made no affect what so ever.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!