What's new

QOS status

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

seth_space

Regular Contributor
It still would be nice to use the QOS setting. In older firmware the setting worked counter productive to say the least. The general consensus was tot disable the setting.
Not sure after so many updates if QOS is fixed and if it makes sense to use it for my music streaming. (wireless)

rt-ac66u/QoS_EZQoS.asp

TIA

If you are streaming over the LAN, then probably not. QoS is mostly meant to control the WAN traffic.

I would say no to Asus QoS being worth a damn. As I have multiple thing's connected to my RT-N66U, and recently been having lag problem's. Which I have two range extender's connected to my RT-N66U using 5ghz wireless.

The problem is, one of the range extender's has a WDTV connected to it, and has video streamed to it via the router's media server. The second range extender has a xbox 360 connected to it, that is used to play games online. When the range extender with the WDTV is being used to stream, the xbox 360 connected to the other range extender starts to deal with steady lag. I have tried setting up QoS giving the 360/range extender the highest priority with no success, and I do know setting the downstream bandwidth limit's don't matter or work.

Because I set my downstream bandwidth max lower then what I really get from my ISP, and still when downloading, I can max my download to what my ISP has set. I know QoS is more about managing the upload side, so it doesn't cause a negative affect. But if the QoS doesn't control the downstream traffic, and I max out the downstream side. There is still the same negative effect's, that you would deal with on the upload side of thing's. So personally, if QoS isn't working both way's, it isn't working at all.

That's disappointing. I'm on the hunt for some firmware where the QOS is working. I really wanted to download and use this. Please post back if that changes!

That's disappointing. I'm on the hunt for some firmware where the QOS is working. I really wanted to download and use this. Please post back if that changes!

Look at Tomato then.

Because I set my downstream bandwidth max lower then what I really get from my ISP, and still when downloading, I can max my download to what my ISP has set. I know QoS is more about managing the upload side, so it doesn't cause a negative affect. But if the QoS doesn't control the downstream traffic, and I max out the downstream side. There is still the same negative effect's, that you would deal with on the upload side of thing's. So personally, if QoS isn't working both way's, it isn't working at all.

It is really difficult to apply QoS on downstream traffic. If you set a lower limit in your router than what you ISP allows, then when packets are coming in too fast, the only thing you can do is to drop packets. Now, your ISP usually has large buffers because fast, stable large transfers are usually what customers care about, so the sending end of the connection does not immediately notice that you are dropping packets. In the end, however, the connection will settle for a lower rate, but my experiences with implementing various QoS on Linux is that you should limit your downstream speed to about 50% of what your ISP gives you in order for it to work.

Upstream traffic is a lot easier to manage, since the packets are coming from your end and does not end up in large buffers before reaching your router.