What's new

Question about ASUS router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BZ_5050

New Around Here
Hello, I am upgrading my internet at home and am shopping for a router since my new internet provider will only provide a modem. I play xbox one online and my dad watches netflix at the same time. We currently are on two different Internets (totaling to 9 mbps) in the same house but we are upgrading to one line with 75 mbps for less money per month. His streaming youtube/netflix box is ethernet connection only and my xbox is 40-50 feet away so I'll need to use wifi.

I am looking at the Asus rt-n66u n900 since I saw it suggested on a site as being good for online gaming. I'm wondering if we are both on the router at the same time (his wired mine on wifi) will there be an issue of lag? I saw the ac router are less likely to cause lag but saw they have overheating issues. I would prefer the n900 if it would work.

Any insight from people smarter than me will be appreciated. If this doesn't fit the guideline of the forums or is in the wrong part of it I apologize. I'm not very knowledgeable with these things. Sorry if this is an annoyance. Thank you.

At this point in time I wouldn't buy an rt-n66u unless it's used. I sell them for $20.
If you are thinking new, I would advise an rt-ac68 variant, rt-ac1900 variant.

At this point in time I wouldn't buy an rt-n66u unless it's used. I sell them for $20.
If you are thinking new, I would advise an rt-ac68 variant, rt-ac1900 variant.
So if I can get a used or refurbished one at a decent price it should do what I need? Thank you for the help.

Another possibility for you would be to use a powerline adapter setup like the Netgear PL1200 in addition to a wireless router. That way your dad could wire into the router and you could wire into the powerline adapter 50 feet away, which should eliminate any lag concerns. That setup would also leave your wireless signal available for anyone that needs it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!