What's new

Questions from newbie

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chudak

Occasional Visitor
I am using RT-AC87R for several weeks (currently on Firmware 3.0.0.4.376.48_beta3) and still having some issues:

1. RT-AC87R does not reboot via WebUI and takes several tries even with power off, main line from cable model (CISCO SURFbord) is red.

2. Led lights can not be turned off (??)

Can somebody direct me to some answers/solutions?

Also, I have Comcast cable as service provider, my internet speed form local server tests
~120 Mbps - on new Lenovo laptop
~60 Mbps - on iPhone 5s (5hGz WiFi)
~40 Mbps - on iPhone 5s (2.4hGz WiFi)

Do those number look reasonable? I feel they should be high on this router, but not sure.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I am using RT-AC87R for several weeks (currently on Firmware 3.0.0.4.376.48_beta3) and still having some issues:

1. RT-AC87R does not reboot via WebUI and takes several tries even with power off, main line from cable model (CISCO SURFbord) is red.

Also, I have Comcast cable as service provider, my internet speed form local server tests

It could be many issues,

1. Have you called Comcast to see if the modem or your line are having issues.

2. On your new laptop, what kind of wireless card does it have, does it support AC, updated drivers?

3. Have you played around with the channels on both 5hgz and 2.4hgz?

4. When you run a speed test on your laptop, are you hardwired or using wifi.

5. What are your speeds that you are suppose to get from your ISP.

6. On the apple phone cant help you there, I hate apple products so dont use them.

I have TW cable, my isp provides me with 300 down 20 up, on both 2.4 & 5g wifi I get, 324 down and 22 to 24 up. I have the same router as you too.

Check all those things man see if it helps, if not try to reflash router with Mr. Merlins FW or the ASUS FW.

It could be many issues,

1. Have you called Comcast to see if the modem or your line are having issues.

2. On your new laptop, what kind of wireless card does it have, does it support AC, updated drivers?

3. Have you played around with the channels on both 5hgz and 2.4hgz?

4. When you run a speed test on your laptop, are you hardwired or using wifi.

5. What are your speeds that you are suppose to get from your ISP.

6. On the apple phone cant help you there, I hate apple products so dont use them.

I have TW cable, my isp provides me with 300 down 20 up, on both 2.4 & 5g wifi I get, 324 down and 22 to 24 up. I have the same router as you too.

Check all those things man see if it helps, if not try to reflash router with Mr. Merlins FW or the ASUS FW.

Thanks for the reply!

Do you have any reboot issues? Can you turn off/on your led lights?

BTW: why don't we have an option to turn off/on your led lights via FW ?

Thanks for the reply!

Do you have any reboot issues? Can you turn off/on your led lights?

BTW: why don't we have an option to turn off/on your led lights via FW ?

I have not had any reboot issues at all since I downloaded the Asus FW, I think if you download Merlins FW, you might have that option, dont know.

Now this is my second ac87r, I returned the first one to bestbuy and picked up the ac68p, and that was a disaster, so I returned that for another ac87r.

I was having issues with this one too, using merlins FW, but then I just downloaded the asus fw and everything is working great for me, QOS, wifi speeds.

I really do not use all the features that this router has, I like it because it has great range and I have a house hold of devices and we are gamer's too.

I am not a pro but I think the people who use this device with there usb HHD and other things are the ones that have alot of issues. It sucks because this router is suppose to do all this stuff, but it just creates issues???

I hope you figure it out man.

I have not had any reboot issues at all since I downloaded the Asus FW, I think if you download Merlins FW, you might have that option, dont know.

Now this is my second ac87r, I returned the first one to bestbuy and picked up the ac68p, and that was a disaster, so I returned that for another ac87r.

I was having issues with this one too, using merlins FW, but then I just downloaded the asus fw and everything is working great for me, QOS, wifi speeds.

I really do not use all the features that this router has, I like it because it has great range and I have a house hold of devices and we are gamer's too.

I am not a pro but I think the people who use this device with there usb HHD and other things are the ones that have alot of issues. It sucks because this router is suppose to do all this stuff, but it just creates issues???

I hope you figure it out man.

Thanks @pinkfloyd1173

I am on merlins FW beat 3 now and trying to make it work.
When you say Asus FW - what version do you mean?

You guys shouldn't be running a beta version. A non-beta release for 376.48 has been out for quite a while now.

You guys shouldn't be running a beta version. A non-beta release for 376.48 has been out for quite a while now.

I am not running the beta merlin.

I am using the asus 3.0.0.4.376.2769, its the latest one that asus came out with about a month ago or so.

@RMerlin

I feel that my issues maybe related to when I have ipv6 enabled.
Any known bugs in that area?

Thx

@RMerlin

Thx

@RMerlin My initial tests show that with IPv6 enabled (Comcast native) my router RT-AC87R is acting up strangely: troubled reboot, led lights can be turned off/on and QoS is not working well, possibly even slower WiFi connections.

Sounds like a bug to me, a?

Anybody else having similar symptoms ?

My hope was that more issues maybe fixed in beta and of cause, trying to help you test your releases :)

376.48 beta 3 is older than 376.48_1, so if anything, you will have more bug fixes from the final release in this case.

@RMerlin

Thx

IPv6 in general is a mess, with every ISP implementing it differently. Comcast is no better. Some users have flawless IPv6 performance with Comcast, and other customers can't get it to work at all. Might depend on the particular node on which you are connected I suspect.

Try disabling NAT acceleration under LAN -> Switch Control. With some ISPs it does create issues.

IPv6 in general is a mess, with every ISP implementing it differently. Comcast is no better. Some users have flawless IPv6 performance with Comcast, and other customers can't get it to work at all. Might depend on the particular node on which you are connected I suspect.

@RMerlin
Try disabling NAT acceleration under LAN -> Switch Control. With some ISPs it does create issues.

Tried disabling NAT acceleration and it seems like when a router is unhappy with something led lights become unresponsive, go figure :)

Is there a way to check for health and/or turn off lights and/or reboot the router via ssh commands?

Tried disabling NAT acceleration and it seems like when a router is unhappy with something led lights become unresponsive, go figure :)

Is there a way to check for health and/or turn off lights and/or reboot the router via ssh commands?

Code:
reboot

Not sure what you mean by "checking off the health". If the router is frozen, then it's... frozen. There's no test it could do to itself in such a situation.

Code:
reboot

Not sure what you mean by "checking off the health". If the router is frozen, then it's... frozen. There's no test it could do to itself in such a situation.

@RMerlin
I guess I was confused, in some post you were saying do 'ps w | grep emf', howver you are right, if it's frozen you can't login to it :)

Got ""reboot"
What about led light on/off command? does it exist ?

@RMerlin
I guess I was confused, in some post you were saying do 'ps w | grep emf', howver you are right, if it's frozen you can't login to it :)

Got ""reboot"
What about led light on/off command? does it exist ?

Not globally, no. You have to write to a bunch of separate registers, and those will change depending on the router model.

@RMerlin
What does the "Stealth Mode (disable all LEDs)" do in Other Setting/Tools?

I assumed you were running the stock firmware since you posted in the general Asus forum rather than the Asuswrt-Merlin one.

Yes, Stealth Mode does that - it will turn off all router LEDs, but the feature is only available in my firmware.

For an example on how to control the Stealth Mode setting through the console, see this example on the Wiki.

I assumed you were running the stock firmware since you posted in the general Asus forum rather than the Asuswrt-Merlin one.

Yes, Stealth Mode does that - it will turn off all router LEDs, but the feature is only available in my firmware.

For an example on how to control the Stealth Mode setting through the console, see this example on the Wiki.

I did not realize it's a wrong forum, will move there...

Your FM works better for me !

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!