What's new

R7000 SB6141 combo

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rpdaddy

Occasional Visitor
Hey folks, need some guidance. I have this setup on time warmer , the nighthawk is running the latest Merlin. I am having intermittent speed issues. I go from having 70+ download speed wireless for a week and then I can't get above 2mb without rebooting the sb6141. I have read elsewhere that the bandwidth setting might affect the speed and the fact that I have everything from an old HP laptop running XP to Macs and IPads running wireless. Optimally how should I have the router set? I'm pulling out my hair here and there isn't much left. Please help.. TIA

Did you just recently port the Xvortex / Merlin firmware onto the R7000? if yes, did you follow the instruction on the web site, for porting the firmware?

The default wifi setting in the Xvortex / Merlin port, should be a good starting point. Have you tried different wifi channels for 2.4ghz, and 5ghz?

Have you tested directly connected to your modem? (This could also be the actual modem, physical coax cable / terminator / ISP local node issue). This should be your considered your baseline testing. Checking ISP stability..

Have you tried another Ethernet cable between router WAN port and modem? (minimum CAT5e).

Have you tested with a laptop / desktop Ethernet cabled to the router?

QoS enabled on the R7000? If yes, try disabling it.

I did just recently download Merlin and I went back through the install instructions and made sure I didn't miss anything. I reset to factory default again. I swapped cables again with a new one to be sure. Before I did any of that I had about the same slow download wired as with wireless. Today so far has been ok, about 50m download. Keeping an eye on it. I'm trying to understand why it was good for a week and then went bad again. That was the original reason I switched to Merlin

I did just recently download Merlin and I went back through the install instructions and made sure I didn't miss anything. I reset to factory default again. I swapped cables again with a new one to be sure. Before I did any of that I had about the same slow download wired as with wireless. Today so far has been ok, about 50m download. Keeping an eye on it. I'm trying to understand why it was good for a week and then went bad again. That was the original reason I switched to Merlin

If the router / connection is still stable, then all is good. But, like I mentioned, it could be your ISP. That's why I asked if you have tested directly connected to the modem with a laptop..

Last edited:
If the router / connection is still stable, then all is good. But, like I mentioned, it could be your ISP. That's why I asked if you have tested directly connected to the modem with a laptop..

Choked again today. I can't check directly to the modem as I have another router attached to handle DHCP. I haven't always had it there, at one point the R7000 was there instead. I rebooted the modem and all was well again