What's new

R7800 and issues with iOS/Apple devices on 5GHz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Engineering confirmed the updated FW is scheduled for release early June...
June! I hope there are going to be a lot of fixes because right now that iOS glitch is actually getting annoying after having to do a reset yesterday on my iPhone, and also the fact the router keeps looking at basic internet communication from Apple to my iMac as ACK Scans!

I know...am pushing for an earlier release...
I hope they do, the ACK scans problem, the fact you cant put a space between names in address reservation, also when you disable WPS in the advanced menu the PIN does not turn grey to show its disabled as it has in all your other routers, the iOS Glitch and the possible IPV6 firewall issue and when the internet disconnects at the modem the router does not register this in the' statistics' tab are all a bit of a pain tbh. Most of these are basic functions and I'm confused as to why a new router starts out with much of this not working when they are pretty basic features shared across your all your routers tbh. :(

June! I hope there are going to be a lot of fixes because right now that iOS glitch is actually getting annoying after having to do a reset yesterday on my iPhone, and also the fact the router keeps looking at basic internet communication from Apple to my iMac as ACK Scans!
I'm hoping for an earlier release too. The iOS issue is especially annoying!

Just bought this router and am disappointed with all of these "issues" it has right out of the box.

These devices the router has issues with are all very common devices. Did Netgear do ANY testing of this router with any iOS devices and video game consoles before putting it out on store shelves?

I may return mine if fixes aren't released until sometime in June.

Just bought this router and am disappointed with all of these "issues" it has right out of the box.

These devices the router has issues with are all very common devices. Did Netgear do ANY testing of this router with any iOS devices and video game consoles before putting it out on store shelves?

I may return mine if fixes aren't released until sometime in June.
To be fair, the issues with the R7800 aren't too bad compared to other products from both Netgear and other vendors. Sadly it seems to be the accepted norm to release beta quality devices to the public and let them be the guinea pigs for testing - whether this is is down to pressure from the business to release early, or simply overall quality issues with software engineering, who knows. You do have to wonder about the quality and volume of testing with some of these devices - most of which share a common software platform (even if the hardware is different).
The key thing is probably to invest in a product/model which is going to have enough longevity for its issues to be fixed and for continued support from the vendor. Models like the R7500 are a good example where this hasn't been the case (and it has been dropped like a hot potato), however I'm hoping the R7800 with its working MU-MIMO and stellar review here on SNB will have some legs in it.

Interesting. Seems to be fine with me on Voda! I thought the implementation was pretty standard across operators?
I take it its the same, just turn on wifi calling and it works I have had it for ages, I may give EE another call but I seem to be having so many ack scans being blocked for what looks like normal communications and I'm looking and UPNP as maybe not opening the right ports, who knows :confused:

I take it its the same, just turn on wifi calling and it works I have had it for ages, I may give EE another call but I seem to be having so many ack scans being blocked for what looks like normal communications and I'm looking and UPNP as maybe not opening the right ports, who knows :confused:
I've got UPnP enabled and nothing forwarded for Wifi Calling to work. When Voda first started supporting it their back end implementation clearly had some issues, but it has been stable since then. Also have a Vodafone SureSignal booster too, although recently I have had to use that with my Sky Fibre line and Sky Hub over my Virgin line and the R7800 because there is some odd routing issue with Virgin Media which Vodafone and Virgin appear to be unable to fix, but when it was working with Virgin it worked fine with the R7800 also (again no ports forwarded, just UPnP).

I've got UPnP enabled and nothing forwarded for Wifi Calling to work. When Voda first started supporting it their back end implementation clearly had some issues, but it has been stable since then. Also have a Vodafone SureSignal booster too, although recently I have had to use that with my Sky Fibre line and Sky Hub over my Virgin line and the R7800 because there is some odd routing issue with Virgin Media which Vodafone and Virgin appear to be unable to fix, but when it was working with Virgin it worked fine with the R7800 also (again no ports forwarded, just UPnP).
Well EE said its enabled on my account, the option is still there in the handset but its not working, so since it was with the R7000 something is blocking it with the R7800 :( Starting to get a bit fed up of this now.

Well EE said its enabled on my account, the option is still there in the handset but its not working, so since it was with the R7000 something is blocking it with the R7800 :( Starting to get a bit fed up of this now.
I had something similar with Voda initially - they swore blind it was active, the handset allowed the option, however it never actually triggered. Turned out it was some kind of provisioning issue at Voda's end. Have you still got the R7000 to test it with again? Also might be worth trying that iPhone beta firmware again to see if they have fixed something in there too - after all the PS4 IP fragmentation issue wasn't mentioned as being included so not sure what else is in there.
One other thought - does it make any difference if you switch the iPhone over to 2.4GHz given we know right now 5GHz has odd issues?

I had something similar with Voda initially - they swore blind it was active, the handset allowed the option, however it never actually triggered. Turned out it was some kind of provisioning issue at Voda's end. Have you still got the R7000 to test it with again? A5GHz has odd issues?
I have not got the R7000 any more, and if I did I could not swap it as I'm wheelchair bound so would need someone to swap cables over for me. Also changing back over to the other firmware would tbh be a nightmare as I need help resetting the routers once again as well as I cant stand up to get to it and adding all my stuff back is getting beyond a joke in address reservation. It could be EE but I have never had any issues with i devices with either the R6300v2 or R7000 and it seems odd that the first time I try to use wifi calling it fails with the R7800. I'll get back to you when I can learn more but I'm looking at you R7800 as UPnP should be opening the ports on the router, facetime works fine but not wifi calling :confused:

Good news I think EE's system had been confused. Wi-Fi calling is now working after a bit of a tug of war about it being enabled on iPhones they don't sell as I got mine straight from Apple (it is enabled as standard on iOS) anyway its all working now :)

Good news I think EE's system had been confused. Wi-Fi calling is now working after a bit of a tug of war about it being enabled on iPhones they don't sell as I got mine straight from Apple (it is enabled as standard on iOS) anyway its all working now :)
Ah thats good news. :)

Good news and many thanks for the update...I had been discussing with support, but they don't appear to have received any specific related issues...but have flagged it with them as a potential issue..

Good news and many thanks for the update...I had been discussing with support, but they don't appear to have received any specific related issues...but have flagged it with them as a potential issue..
One thing I have noticed in auto QOS is I cant select 'iMac' and keep the iMac, icon it just defaults back to 'other' and 'high' where as all my other devices I can set like iPhone and iPad, and the icon for those sticks. *note the iMac is on Ethernet not wifi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!