What's new

R7800 or R8000: Which Should I Get?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

1985BearsFan

New Around Here
Given all the recent firmware issues with the R7000 Nighthawk and my ever-growing home network, I'm wondering whether it's time for me to upgrade my WiFi router and, if so, to which model. Here's my situation: I currently have Gigabit fiber optic internet service from my cable TV provider. The R7000 (running firmware 1.0.4.30) serves as my sole router and WiFi access point. I have five Netgear ProSafe GS108E switches throughout my home. Consistently connected to the 2.4GHz WiFi Network are the following devices:
  • Four Nest thermostats
  • One Ecobee 3 thermostat
  • Six Nest Protect smoke detectors
  • Two Nest Cams
  • One Ring doorbell
  • One Ring Chime
  • One Rachio Iro sprinkler controller
  • One Wink hub
  • Two WeMo light switches
  • Four WeMo outlet switches
  • One Harmony Hub
The following devices regularly connect to the WiFi network, sometimes 5Ghz, sometimes 2.4GHz:
  • One iPhone 6s
  • One iPhone 6 Plus
  • One iPhone 5s
  • One iPhone 5
  • One 2nd generation iPad
  • One 3rd generation iPad
  • One 4th generation iPad
  • One 1st generation iPad mini
  • One Kindle PaperWhite (1st generation)
  • One 2012 MacBook Pro (15")
  • One 2009 MacBook Pro (13")
  • One Amazon FireStick
  • One Canon MG6120 inkjet printer
In addition to those WiFi devices, I have the following devices connected to the network via ethernet cabling (hence the multiple switches):
  • 2007 iMac 24"
  • 2007 iMac 19"
  • A homemade PC that also functions as a hackintosh
  • A Raspberry Pi
  • Four ReadyNAS units
  • Two laserprinters
  • One TiVo Roamio
  • One TiVo Roamio Pro
  • One TiVo Premiere
  • Two second generation AppleTVs
  • One fourth generation AppleTV
  • Two Sony Blu-Ray players
  • One Onkyo A/V receiver
  • One Sony smart TV
  • One MyQ Internet Gateway
  • One Playstation TV
  • One Playstation 4
I am questioning whether I should upgrade for a few reasons. First, I've noticed that I don't always get Gigibit speeds on the computers when they are hardwired. After doing a bit of troubleshooting, I've noticed that activating the 2.4Ghz Guest Network on the R7000 slows down the ethernet network significantly (using Speedtest.net). I can't figure out why turning on the 2.4GHz Guest Network would impact the ethernet devices, but it does. Not being able enable the 2.4GHz Guest Network is very annoying because we do have guests, and I'd like them to be able to use our network without having to give them access to the main WiFi Network.

Second, I recently read that the R7000 is rated for a maximum of 32 devices per WiFi band, and it seems as though I am pushing that limit, particularly on the 2.4GHz band. As listed above, I have approximately 24 devices that are always connected to that band. In addition, I have several other devices that sometimes connect to it.

Third, I've noticed recently that the WiFi connections just seem a bit slow at times. Things such as downloading e-mails to my iPhone while on the WiFi network can take longer than when connected via cellular data.

Fourth, and this one has annoyed me every since I got my R7000, when I enter device names in the web-based GUI, the names never get saved. As a result, when I want to identify what devices are connected to the R7000, I have a difficult time because I only am shown the IP address and MAC addresses without a name.

My thought is that I would keep the R7000 and use it solely as an AP, which would be used exclusively by the home automation devices, and that I would use a second router as the NAT router and main WiFi router for the laptops and iDevices.

I actually picked up the R7900 from Costco, but plan on returning it. It's not that much less than the R8000 when the latter is on sale. I like that the R8000 has two USB ports (even though I'll probably never use either). I'm also concerned that Netgear won't update the R7900 as often as it might update the R8000.

For today and tomorrow, the price difference between the R7800 and the R8000 is negligible. Today and tomorrow, NewEgg has the R8000 on sale for $199.99 About ten days ago, I had Best Buy match Amazon's $214.99 pricing on the R7800.

I haven't had a chance yet to actually try out the R7800 other than updating the firmware, but I did notice that it's Attached Device interface is pretty nice. I like that, similar to the Netgear Genie, I can assign not only device names but also types (with icons). The R7900's interface did not seem quite as nice.

If I'm going to return the R7800, I have to do it by 3/24/15 (only four days from now). If I am going to go with the R8000, I need to purchase it by tomorrow. I've read all the reviews and still can't figure out which of the two will be the best for my needs. I would greatly appreciate any advice/input you all can offer to help me decide between the two.

Thank you in advance.

I have two R7000's running in AP mode with Xvortex / Merlin 3rd party firmware loaded on both. No issues at all. The last two builds seen on the site are solid. I run them both on two R7000's. But, as I mentioned in the past, like anything in life, YMMV..

I had a similar situation in the past and moved away from consumer gear towards semipro gear. The latter being much more stable, although at a different price level.

I had a similar situation in the past and moved away from consumer gear towards semipro gear. The latter being much more stable, although at a different price level.

When I contacted Netgear, I was told that because I have more than 32 devices connecting to me router, I would need to move to their professional/business line. When the representative tried to transfer me to business support, I was disconnected and didn't have time to re-establish the connection.

What router did you end up with? I'm trying to get an idea how much of a price bump I would encounter if I were to move to a business class router.

I have two R7000's running in AP mode with Xvortex / Merlin 3rd party firmware loaded on both. No issues at all. The last two builds seen on the site are solid. I run them both on two R7000's. But, as I mentioned in the past, like anything in life, YMMV..
Will the Xvortex/Merlin firmware clearly identify each connected device?

I can see the device name via Network Map only, (which is also editable) but not under wireless log.

That might work for me. How difficult is it to install the Xvortex/Merlin firmware and then go back to the stock Netgear FW (in case I don't like the Xvortex/Merlin FW)?

That might work for me. How difficult is it to install the Xvortex/Merlin firmware and then go back to the stock Netgear FW (in case I don't like the Xvortex/Merlin FW)?

Instruction are on the first page of the link I provided above. Of all the 3rd party firmware, it's the easiest to install, and, back out of..

When I contacted Netgear, I was told that because I have more than 32 devices connecting to me router, I would need to move to their professional/business line. When the representative tried to transfer me to business support, I was disconnected and didn't have time to re-establish the connection.

What router did you end up with? I'm trying to get an idea how much of a price bump I would encounter if I were to move to a business class router.

Ended up with a Mikrotik CCR router and Engenius ECB1750 AP. The AP could, on paper, handle up to 100 clients. It also handles isolated guests or, as I did, use separate VLANs. Also using a R7000 with Xvortex as secondary AP.

Most consumer-grade routers in the AC1900 class and above should be able to handle about 50 or so clients before struggling in most cases, the R7800 and R8500 included (and perhaps also the R7000, which I think would be able to handle that kind of load)...

Given all the recent firmware issues with the R7000 Nighthawk and my ever-growing home network, I'm wondering whether it's time for me to upgrade my WiFi router and, if so, to which model. Here's my situation: I currently have Gigabit fiber optic internet service from my cable TV provider. The R7000 (running firmware 1.0.4.30) serves as my sole router and WiFi access point. I have five Netgear ProSafe GS108E switches throughout my home. Consistently connected to the 2.4GHz WiFi Network are the following devices:
  • Four Nest thermostats
  • One Ecobee 3 thermostat
  • Six Nest Protect smoke detectors
  • Two Nest Cams
  • One Ring doorbell
  • One Ring Chime
  • One Rachio Iro sprinkler controller
  • One Wink hub
  • Two WeMo light switches
  • Four WeMo outlet switches
  • One Harmony Hub

Have you considered maybe dedicating an N300 class Router/AP (in AP mode) just for these devices? Use a unique SSID, and that AP can run on the same channel perhaps... or use it as a Router and DMZ it within the R7000, but that might lead to some NAT issues... but the main thought it to push them to a dedicated radio and keep them away from the regular WiFi usage...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!