What's new

Random Reboots Post 374.41 (Merlin build)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dec 31 20:00:14 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

Have you tried resetting 'DHCP query frequency' from Aggressive Mode to Normal Mode?

I see this in my logs too but I do not have a rebooting issue. I am using Boot Loader 1.6 and I am in Sunnyvale (near San Jose, CA) on Comcast using a Motorola SB6141 modem. I left my DHCP query frequency on Aggressive Mode. Merlin's 374.41 of course.

For the record I also have hardware acceleration and uPNP on. Nothing plugged into the USB ports and no samba or DLNA shares configured.

For what this comparison is worth. :rolleyes:
I hope you figure it out.

Only difference is that a complete power cycle will also reset the electronics. I have seen a few cases over the years where a computer's USB port would stop working even after a reboot, but a complete power cycle properly reset them into a working state.

A power cycle of the router should only be needed if there are weird hardware-level issues, or the router got stuck trying to reboot (that can often happen after a reboot, as the FW filesystem is in an unknown state following the FW overwrite).

All methods should do the exact same thing, unless something in the shutdown sequence is causing settings to get written back to NVRAM.

No, some ISPs have exhibited compatibility issues with HW acceleration, which can lead to random reboots.

I didnt get an email notification that anyone replied to my last message, sorry for the delayed response. Btw, 3 days + uptime after reseting to factory via WPS button, and manually reconfiguring.

Thanks Merlin.

Hello All. After almost 3 days of uptime, the router rebooted. HW Acceleration, Samba, and DLNA were turned off. Usually I clear the log once I get the router up and running to make it easier to see any changes. Strange this is, when the router reset, I went from ~100 lines in the log to about ~124 pages.

I tried reading through the log but don't really know what I'm looking for or how to read it with the whole December 31st, January 1st default time stamps.

Have a look at the attached PDF and tell me what you think.

Attachments

• No HW Accel. DLNA. SAMBA.pdf
    455.5 KB · Views: 245
Registered today to share my information regarding this reboot issue....

I have the same problem as MTD but only on one of my routers.
At the moment I have a AC68U as main router running Merlin 374.41, no problems and no reboots at all. Also running an N66U with the same FW that acts as an AP without any problems.

However my second AC68U which is connected using the media bridge functionality to the "main" AC68U reboots frequently even with Samba etc disabled. General log looks the same as MTD and doesn't have any history from before the reboot so I can't tell why the reboot occurs.

This second AC68U was previously my main router and never rebooted running any of the Merlin builds. Tried Merlin 374.41, Asus FW 3.0.0.4.374_5656 and 3.0.0.4-374-5047 with the same result. So the question is, did Asus break the media bridge functionality with the newer firmware or is it something else that's causing the reboot...?

Anyway... After all the complaining, I would like to thank Merlin for his awesome work.. Been using your FW for a long time now and love it! Thanks :)

Last edited:
Running the AC68U in AP mode on 374.41 now for the last 3 days and no reboots at all.. I guess my problem is related to the media bridge functionality.

Update on Router Reboots - I'm getting pretty consistent stability out of the AC66U now. My only issue is, the router reboots every three days. I don't have it down to the exact minute, but it consistently resets once between day 3 and day 4 and is 100% up in-between reboots. Any suggestions?

Update on Router Reboots - I'm getting pretty consistent stability out of the AC66U now. My only issue is, the router reboots every three days. I don't have it down to the exact minute, but it consistently resets once between day 3 and day 4 and is 100% up in-between reboots. Any suggestions?

Is there anything out of the ordinary in the logs prior or post reboot ?

Sure. Again - I'm not really sure what I'm looking for here or how to read this log with too much efficiency. Let me know what you see. Thanks!

Attachments

• 3 Day Reset.pdf
    443.4 KB · Views: 246
Sure. Again - I'm not really sure what I'm looking for here or how to read this log with too much efficiency. Let me know what you see. Thanks!

The only thing i did was reset my router back to factory (i did this by holding the WPS button for about 6 seconds) and manually re-configuring the router (Thanks Merlin).

I also removed and re-added a few network devices that were constantly making requests similar to your ipad. I only did this because i didnt like the spam in my log. Once i did this the device requests weren't every 10~ minutes (like your iPad).

It was likely the former that resolved the issue for me but it looks like you've already given that a try.

Last edited:
I went to 374.41 and I think I was seeing this issue. I went back to 374.40 because it worked flawless, but the issue continued. I have tried reverting to defaults on .41, uploaded firmware to 40, reverted to defaults again, uploaded 40 again, reset nvram using the command line, and used minimum settings...haven't even changed the default user password. All that was on pretty much one try with hopes I wouldn't see it.

I'll post the log in a few mins...computer locking up constantly.

This will take a while, need to reinstall my OS due to some corruptions preventing me from using FTP or running some applications.

Last edited:
log is located here:
http://www.airforcedriver.com/syslog.txt

Apr 30 06:14:42 Samba Server: daemon is started
Apr 30 06:20:19 nmbd[736]: [2014/04/30 06:20:19, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(392)
Apr 30 06:20:19 nmbd[736]: Samba name server RT-AC66R is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 192.168.3.2
Apr 30 06:35:41 smbd[782]: [2014/04/30 06:35:41, 0] lib/util.c:Realloc(1073)
Apr 30 06:35:41 smbd[782]: Memory allocation error: failed to expand to 7760 bytes
Apr 30 06:35:41 smbd[782]: [2014/04/30 06:35:41, 0] smbd/lanman.c:get_server_info(1136)
Apr 30 06:35:41 smbd[782]: get_server_info: failed to enlarge servers info struct!
Apr 30 06:35:41 smbd[782]: [2014/04/30 06:35:41, 0] lib/util.c:Realloc(1073)
Apr 30 06:35:41 smbd[782]: Memory allocation error: failed to expand to 4096 bytes
Jan 1 00:00:14 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.20.2
Looks like you might be running out of memory. Are you running any USB applications on it?

Looks like you might be running out of memory. Are you running any USB applications on it?

I was thinking the same thing. Only thing I enabled was SAMBA and dlna. I did not have this issue before, though. Any ideas to try?

BTW, computer issue is separate from this.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. Only thing I enabled was SAMBA and dlna. I did not have this issue before, though. Any ideas to try?
Someone else posted similar memory errors and he was running dlna as well. Try turning it off for a while and see if the problem goes away.

Someone else posted similar memory errors and he was running dlna as well. Try turning it off for a while and see if the problem goes away.

It's possible, but I think since it was working before I went to .41, I suspect the firmware upgrade to .41 went bad someway. I'm going to use the last trick I have up my sleeve...the dreaded (I hate pulling out the TV to get to the router directly) recovery mode. I'll see how that works. This tends to take about 5 hours before it will start the reboot so I won't have answers until tomorrow (I work swing shift on Saturday). Thanks for the help, having a second mind around this builds some confidence. If it does not work, I'll clean out the dlna folder.

A corrupted video file could cause minidlna to crash, eating up all available memory as it tries to parse the video file. Try with a smaller subset of video files.

Also make sure the minidlna database isn't stored in RAM but gets stored on the USB disk itself.

Just as a contrast, I have DLNA enabled on mine, but no files being shared/scanned (on the router; AC68U) and my uptime is currently at: 6 days 23 hours 5 minutes 25 seconds

I think I've seen minidlna being updated quite a bit as of late (if tomato/dd-wrt is any indication)?

A corrupted video file could cause minidlna to crash, eating up all available memory as it tries to parse the video file. Try with a smaller subset of video files.

Also make sure the minidlna database isn't stored in RAM but gets stored on the USB disk itself.

I've seen that minidlna crash before and had to go through every video file and purge the corrupt ones. I also knew how to keep the file on the usb drive, but don't know how to do that with version .41. So far, the recovery .41 is working. If it pulls through all day tomorrow, I'll probably wrap it up as a corrupted upgrade and fixed. Also, I did not enable wins this time...may have been a problem.

the memory is different, I was hovering at 20mb free and 0 buffer, now I'm at 60 free and .25 buffer. Swap usage is 0 of 0.

Edit:
at 24 hours now, still working fine.

Last edited:
48 hours and solid going. I'm calling it that my problems were probably caused by me doing a wifi firmware update unsuccessfully somehow, but doing the recovery mode firmware update fixed everything perfectly. Simply resetting defaults and reuploading the firmware did not work, but the recovery worked wonders. Thanks for the help guys.

If anyone else runs into this problem, reference this to do that recovery and I encourage you to use a LAN cable.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8531

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!