What's new

recommend a NEXT GEN FIREWALL / ROUTER Distro for Home Use

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OneAboveAll

New Around Here
Can some kind soul please recommend a Next Generation Firewall / Router Distro for Home Use ?

Particular things I am looking at are :

1) Intruder Prevention System
2) Intruder Detection System
3) Choice of Antivirus for Scanning "ALL Traffic that Goes in and out" of the Firewall / Router
4) Fine Gran Control over Packet Monitoring, Filtering and Control

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you very much for your time and kind help.

Warm Regards as Always !!!

One Above All

PFsense or IPFire

offtopic:
"Warm Regards as Always !!!" :)) when first post
No need for your nickname in the signature. It can be seen to the left of your post

Can some kind soul please recommend a Next Generation Firewall / Router Distro for Home Use ?

Particular things I am looking at are :

1) Intruder Prevention System
2) Intruder Detection System
3) Choice of Antivirus for Scanning "ALL Traffic that Goes in and out" of the Firewall / Router
4) Fine Gran Control over Packet Monitoring, Filtering and Control

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you very much for your time and kind help.

Warm Regards as Always !!!

One Above All

In addition to Untangle (my favorite), I also recommend checking out SophosUTM, and ClearOS.
Untangle does have a free "Lite" version BTW.
With "free" versions of UTMs...you won't have a choice of antivirus (as you request if your OP)...they all use ClamAV for the basic "free" one. The more professional UTMs have pay for versions, which will add a second AV...of a much better engine. Such as BitDefender, or Kaspersky.

i suggest going with x86 as you have the choice of pfsense and other OSes dedicated to being a UTM.

I was reading up on clamAV, apparently they are one of the worst available antivirus and are only good for checking mail. Its not just the detection quality but also the performance of clamAV. I wouldnt vouch for kaspersky as i have seen firsthand many viruses getting by them. So for network AV i think the only choice for an effective one is paid. Anti virus for networking only works best for checking files so you may want to implement domain and traffic filters instead to block malware traffic and hosts instead. To use an AV in a UTM effectively you will need to proxy your traffic such as with squid and squid can also apply filters on SSL traffic too. So far i have been having issues with squid3 recently being super slow.

ClamAV is ok, just consider what it is, and what it does - it's not a real-time scanner...

Snort is a great line of defense - and if one is running an email server (not likely at home, but consider small biz), then SpamAssassin is always a good option.

With UTM, end-points are always going to be the most up to date, and let's not forget about wetware behind the screen/keyboard - education is very important, as they are the true firewall, no matter what we put between them and the internet.

pfSense with Suricata,,pfBlockerNG could be a good start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!