What's new

[Release] AB-Solution 3 - The Ad Blocking Solution

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've found my blocked host for kataweb in this way. I can't find a fix for the Amazon app (thelonelycoder's tip wasn't right).

I think I've found my blocked host for kataweb in this way. I can't find a fix for the Amazon app (thelonelycoder's tip wasn't right).

Sometimes you need to stop using other devices and take a carefull look on the logs, I dont seem to have any issues with the amazon mobile app in android, I use the US version, so try to turn off o not use any other device in the household, flush dns and try looking again

Fast, reliable, Wifi. In every room. luma Surround wifi system. ;-)
If I'm in SNB, then to support the site, i can live with ads for the latest router/NAS etc etc shoved in my face... but I'm not really interested in "dating russian singles" ( no offence intended to all those lovely russian ladies..just an example) or buying some life assurance...

I think TLC has done what he can to support SNB through default whitelisting, but ultimately people will always want that choice.
i did suggest a kind of "forums support" idea in a post on another thread....dont know how appealing that might be
http://www.snbforums.com/threads/ab...klist-contribution-project.31638/#post-286916
After all, AB-Solution is about ad blocking.
But I have made it clear from the very beginning with the beta version of AB-Solution (AdBlock-wchfa) that some sort of support for this forum is a requirement for me to even start this project.
The answer was adding some of the ad servers Tim uses on his sites to the whitelist. We have discussed this to make it acceptable for him, and in my opinion to the users.

The white-listing was always transparent and prominently shown to the user.
I can only do so much. A separate function to have groups of whitelists to be active at certain sites is out of the question for me.
It would mean more interference from me to the users preferences, something I try to avoid at all.
From a technical point of view, this would add an enormous amount of extra coding from my side.
I have other plans for "AdBlocking with combined hosts file automated".

upload_2016-11-5_8-4-39.png

I am having issue installing the pixelserver-tls. Seem AB-Solution is working since is blocking ads from speedtest.net. Also currently, I have entware-ng, squid, and AB-Solution running.

View attachment 7651

I am having issue installing the pixelserver-tls. Seem AB-Solution is working since is blocking ads from speedtest.net. Also currently, I have entware-ng, squid, and AB-Solution running.
The reason why it is not supported is clear and also a clear indication of what you have to investigate on your own before posting here.

@thelonelycoder It appears that the stats file naming bug for current stats that you fixed during the beta period found its way to the weekly stats, too. I received an e-mail this morning with an empty stats file named stats-Sat_Nov_ (missing the day, timestamp, and .txt). In the directory listing, there is an embedded blank in the filename:

Code:
drwxr-xr-x    2 admin    root          4096 Nov  5 09:12 .
drwxr-xr-x    8 admin    root          4096 Nov  5 03:00 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 admin    root           583 Nov  5 02:30 stats-Sat_Nov_ 5_02.30_2016.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 admin    root          5095 Nov  2 20:17 stats-Wed_Nov_02_20.14_2016.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 admin    root           583 Nov  4 08:16 testmail-ads-stats-Fri_Nov_04_08.16_2016.txt

The reason why it is not supported is clear and also a clear indication of what you have to investigate on your own before posting here.

Kool..I will try to see if I can find the issue. I am guessing there not a dedicated directory for entware-ng.

Thanks.

@thelonelycoder It appears that the stats file naming bug for current stats that you fixed during the beta period found its way to the weekly stats, too. I received an e-mail this morning with an empty stats file named stats-Sat_Nov_ (missing the day, timestamp, and .txt). In the directory listing, there is an embedded blank in the filename:

Code:
drwxr-xr-x    2 admin    root          4096 Nov  5 09:12 .
drwxr-xr-x    8 admin    root          4096 Nov  5 03:00 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 admin    root           583 Nov  5 02:30 stats-Sat_Nov_ 5_02.30_2016.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 admin    root          5095 Nov  2 20:17 stats-Wed_Nov_02_20.14_2016.txt
-rw-r--r--    1 admin    root           583 Nov  4 08:16 testmail-ads-stats-Fri_Nov_04_08.16_2016.txt
Check /scripts/weekly-log-stats.sh
It shoud read:
fileToSend=$dir/stats/stats-$(date +"%a_%b_%d_%H.%M_%Y").txt
Yours might have %e instead of the correct %d in it.
Change that or turn (ws) off and back on, it will create a new file.

This might apply to other users as well.
Off On (ws) is the solution.

Last edited:
Sometimes you need to stop using other devices and take a carefull look on the logs, I dont seem to have any issues with the amazon mobile app in android, I use the US version, so try to turn off o not use any other device in the household, flush dns and try looking again

Already tried to reboot, I use Amazon App for Italy and I got this issue on each android device I use.

It shoud read:

Yes, that is (or was) the issue. Both methods work to fix it -- I used one on each of two routers. Thanks!

@thelonelycoder you really need to get rid of wget from as many places you can, look what happened when I tried to check for an update from the newly installed version 3:
Code:
A B - S O L U T I O N      A D - B L O C K I N G

AB-Solution 3                  by thelonelycoder
--------------------------------------------------
RT-AC56U (armv7l) fw-380.63 @ 192.168.1.254 IPv6
209,347  blocked hosts (logging off, no stats)
0 t  0 w  0 n ads since

[i] AB-Solution     [/tmp/mnt/entware]
[cu] check for updates

[a] ad-blocking     [on]
[l] logging         [off]
[ws] weekly stats    [off]
[cs] current stats

[sl] symlink         [on]
[sh] shell history   [on]
[cb] custom block IP [off] (0.0.0.0)

[ps] install pixelserv-tls

[h] hosts file      [shooter40sw]
[u] update hosts file
[el] edit white or black list

[f] follow the logfile
[ac] update ads counter

[e] exit AB-Solution               [sm] sub menu

What do you want to do?   cu

Update info:
This will check with ab-solution.info for newer
script versions for AB-Solution.
-------------------------------------------------

Continue? [1=Yes e=Exit] 1

getting version info from ab-solution.info...

Segmentation fault

hmm...
looks like www.ab-solution.info is down

Please notify @thelonelycoder immediately!
Thanks

Hit [Enter] to return to Menu
Segmentation fault...

I don't see this issue [cu] updates work fine for me.

Just out of curiosity - and I realize this may have been asked before - but in the logging that tracks which IP's have requested what, would it be possible to include the hostname at the time it's logged?

I'm asking because I'm seeing some odd requests from IP's in the log, that when I back track either no longer exist, or shouldn't have come from the host that currently has that IP - and I realize this is do to DHCP, but it's just difficult to track anything down with only the IP in the log.

Hi thelonleycoder, works great here.
Favourite beverage sent (4SN33870F63077736)

Thanks for all what you have done ;)

Regards

OK, definitely broken busybox, both ping and traceroute completely fail in this router if I put any DNS name. They only work if I supply directly an IP address but that is not acceptable.

Busybox's ping works fine:

Code:
admin@Stargate88:/tmp/home/root# ping -q -c 2 -W 1 -w 3 www.ab-solution.info
PING www.ab-solution.info (80.74.145.2): 56 data bytes

--- www.ab-solution.info ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 116.078/116.474/116.871 ms
admin@Stargate88:/tmp/home/root#

admin@Stargate88:/tmp/home/root# ping -v
BusyBox v1.20.2 (2016-10-30 14:50:06 EDT) multi-call binary.

Usage: ping [OPTIONS] HOST

Send ICMP ECHO_REQUEST packets to network hosts

-4,-6        Force IP or IPv6 name resolution
    -c CNT        Send only CNT pings
    -s SIZE        Send SIZE data bytes in packets (default:56)
    -t TTL        Set TTL
    -I IFACE/IP    Use interface or IP address as source
    -M hint        Path MTU Discovery strategy [do|want|dont]
    -W SEC        Seconds to wait for the first response (default:10)
            (after all -c CNT packets are sent)
    -w SEC        Seconds until ping exits (default:infinite)
            (can exit earlier with -c CNT)
    -q        Quiet, only displays output at start
            and when finished

Aren't you compiling the firmware with a change in threading support? That could cause issues.

ab-solution 3.0 Email: Just an FYI for anyone wondering, the email function doesn't work with just @gmail.com email addresses - it'll work with any email address that's hosted by G Suite (formerly Google Apps), so you can use your custom domain if your email is hosted through Google.

It shoud read:

Not sure if this ok, but do you have a paypal or something. I would like to buy you a beer or whatever lol.

Thanks

ab-solution 3.0 Email: Just an FYI for anyone wondering, the email function doesn't work with just @gmail.com email addresses - it'll work with any email address that's hosted by G Suite (formerly Google Apps), so you can use your custom domain if your email is hosted through Google.
I believe it works fine for gmail, but google now requires you enable "insecure apps" to let a third party authenticate and send mail against your account (potential security risk):

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

FYI, most email providers are cracking down on account access these days (2FA, recovery accounts, phone apps (Microsoft and Google) for RSA type keys). Keep in mind the recent dumps of account information sold on the "dark and scary web".

My suggestion is to make a google account just for monitoring, so you don't expose your personal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.