What's new

repeater mode problem with ASUS RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ilya980

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I have the ASUS RT-AC68U (converted from T-Mobile AC1900) running 3.0.0.4.380.65.9 HGG. I want to set it up as a repeater of Comcast's xfinitywifi. As a test, I have another same router (running latest ASUS stock firmware) connected via cable to the Comcast's modem and cable outlet. The routers are 3 feet apart, so should be no signal issues.

The repeater mode seems very flaky. How do I set the repeating router to create a different subdomain? The repeating router gets an IP 192.168.1.178, and any device connected to it gets 192.168.1.xx. Is there a way to create another subdomain, say 192.168.69.1 so all devices would get 192.168.69.xx? Also, after a few minutes the GUI on the repeater become inaccessible. All devices still see the internet, but there is no way to change any settings on 192.168.1.178. The GUI does not come up. Reboot does not help. The only way to "revive" the repeater seems to be to clear NVRAM, but then all settings are lost (including repeater mode).

With xfinitiwify it is even worse. The router becomes inaccessible right away, and the only way to bring it back is to reset NVRAM. ASUS discovery tool shows the correct IP (172.20.xx.xx) for a few seconds, but then starts to show 192.168.1.1. I was able to access the router once via 172.20.xx.xx, but the connection was dropped almost immediately. I was never able to access it via 192.168.1.1. I set the IP, mask and gateway manually on the laptop. Laptop is connected via Ethernet to port 1.

I've read many people were successful setting up this router as a repeater. Is there a problem with this mode in 3.0.0.4.380.65.9 HGG?

Please help.

Thanks.

That Gomes firmware is outdated there are many security fixes since that release including the Krack fix for the 68 that you will indeed want if running in repeater mode.

How do I set the repeating router to create a different subdomain?
It is my understanding that a "repeater" merely repeats the data to and from the parent router. The router is responsible for all DHCP and the repeater should simply be a slave to that.