What's new

Requirement for a Solid Wireless Network around my house.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

koolcoolkg

New Around Here
Hi friends,
I am from Indian Subcontinent and I need an advice for a decent router/access point.

Questionnaire :

1.ISP :Local Fiber Optic Network(Nettech)

2.Plan : 2 Mbps till 20 GB;512 Kbps post FUP

3.Connection Type: Cable internet!

4.Area of house:

3000 sq.ft * 2 storeys

At least need coverage on top 2 floor!
Ground floor is unused!

5.Budget :₹5k + 1k tolerance($100)

6. My Current Setup :

Asus RT-N12 D1

I am totally new at this so please suggest a good network plan!

I want full coverage on 1st and second floor!

House Plan attached.Same house plans both floor .

Wifi Analyzer readings when kept atop crockery unit on first floor-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6gKZT-Z1a4qcHNVSUhxS1R3M0E/view?usp=sharing

{POINTER: Sorry for inconvenience.
You can emulate csv files using wifi analyzer for android (by farproc)}

Image of floor plan:
http://imgur.com/WwXcsAa

I have budget constraints friends.So here are my options-

1. Ubiquiti Unfi AP-LR
In India you go not get Unfi products for 70 bucks($)
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/ubi...ts/1220103668#bcrumbSearch:|bcrumbLabelId:286

2.Mikrotik Groove A 52 hpn ($70)

3. TP - Link Archer C7
I can import this-
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUSDVBQ/?tag=snbforums-20

Many of my friend have tested Groove in large 10000 sq. ft. Offices.
But not in closed homes like this.

Suggestions are welcome about other routers.

Regards,
Kunal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Follow this basic advice.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...best-way-to-get-whole-house-wireless-coverage

With multiple access points, you don't need extreme range on any one of them.

Thank @thiggins for your link.

I have came across this guide many times but the real problem is-
I don't have internal ethernet wiring or MoCa.
I cannot run cables along such a long hose.
Powerline adapters will not work efficiently as wiring is pretty old.

Plus I just have 2 mbps connection so I wish to atleast have 1 mbps in all corners.

So I have chosen two enterprise products-
Ubiquiti Unfi Ap-LR
Mikrotik Groove A 52hpn

I'm helping my folks out who are currently building a house in Delhi, so I've spent a not insignificant amount of time trying to find networking products in India. Here are some thoughts based on my experience:
  • One of the biggest problems that I've found is that the rebar used in the walls acts as a significant Faraday cage for the 2.4GHz band, so one important point is to ensure you have a router that is 5GHz capable and ensure your devices are also 5GHz capable.
  • Almost any router you buy will be able to service a 2Mbps connection, even a basic 802.11g router.
  • With all due respect to Tim, do not buy the TP-Link powerline adapters he recommended - they are 110V/60Hz only, and you will instantly fry them when you plug it in to a 220V/50Hz system. You cannot step down the voltage because the stepdown transformer will destroy the signal. In addition, if you have an inverter, it will interrupt the 220V unit signals as well.
In your specific case, I suspect you are going to be using the internet more in the bedrooms, and not in the living room or pooja room (unless you sit on your jhula to work). As such, my suggestion is to move the router further back from the kitchen area to the bedroom area - perhaps in the top shelf of the closet in Bedroom 1, or in the bedside table in Bedroom 3.

Also, man, turn that bed around in Bedroom 2. Bad vastu.

Last edited:
Actually, I just noticed the TV in the Living Room. MoCA works fine with the adapters for the cable - you should be able to get the right adapters (from Aerial- or BL-type to F- or N- type) at a Samsung TV store for about Rs 250 a piece. Then just go see the reviews of the MoCA units on this site and pick out one that fits your budgets and needs.

With all due respect to Tim, do not buy the TP-Link powerline adapters he recommended - they are 110V/60Hz only, and you will instantly fry them when you plug it in to a 220V/50Hz system. You cannot step down the voltage because the stepdown transformer will destroy the signal. In addition, if you have an inverter, it will interrupt the 220V unit signals as well.
So you are saying the voltage rating on the serial number label is incorrect?

So you are saying the voltage rating on the serial number label is incorrect?

Yes, I believe so. The set I bought in August for my folks was indeed marked 100-240V, 50/60Hz and the first of two that they plugged in promptly went up in acrid smoke when they tried it in Delhi with a mechanical adapter. The other possible interpretation is that they were extremely unlucky and got hit by a surge at the exact moment they flipped the switch. This is unlikely, but not impossible - load shedding is common in India, and they may have been the victims of a sudden surge in voltage.

At any rate, they opted to have ethernet cabling installed through the existing telephone conduits, since the house was wired for three lines and they were using two.

Thanks for the follow up. I'll make sure TP-LINK knows about this.

I will definitely place it in centre as there is a an adjoining study to the living.

5 Ghz routers do not provide complete reception even on single floor.

Tp link archer seems good choice and that mikrotik with 5 ghz antenna is a good option.