What's new

Reset to defaults and apply new FW help wanted

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chudak

Occasional Visitor
I feel that my wifi speed maybe not as good as it could and want to apply a new FW and also as I see on this forum resetting to default can be useful as well.

Now can someone help me with a list of all steps necessary to do this procedure in *proper* way?

I have RT-AC87R, FW 3.0.0.4.376.49_5_newqtn, Comcast

Thx in advance!

I feel that my wifi speed maybe not as good as it could and want to apply a new FW and also as I see on this forum resetting to default can be useful as well.

Now can someone help me with a list of all steps necessary to do this procedure in *proper* way?

I have RT-AC87R, FW 3.0.0.4.376.49_5_newqtn, Comcast

Thx in advance!

Wow, no replays yet. Nobody is doing reset to defaults or it's too easy?

I could say RTFM, but in summary:

1. Log into router.
  2. Save your configuration.
  3. Upload new firmware.
  4. Wait..
  5. When complete log out.
  6. Power down Router.
  7. Press & hold power button until lights flash.
  8. Log into router using default user/pass as set by ASUS.
  9. Upload your old configuration.
  10. Log out of router.

I could say RTFM, but in summary:

1. Log into router.
  2. Save your configuration.
  3. Upload new firmware.
  4. Wait..
  5. When complete log out.
  6. Power down Router.
  7. Press & hold power button until lights flash.
  8. Log into router using default user/pass as set by ASUS.
  9. Upload your old configuration.
  10. Log out of router.

By reuploading your old config, you are basically nullifying the entire action of the factory default reset, as you will be back to the exact same settings as you had before you started.

When something requires a factory default reset, it means you cannot upload an older config file afterward.

What you describe would be similar to you making an image of your computer's hard disk, doing a format and reinstall, and then overwriting your new installation with your original image.

@RMerlin

It sounds that you disagreed with some steps.
What is the way you'd recommend for my RT-AC87R on your FW?
Do you confirm that this can/will improve WifI issues?

Thx

Last edited:
@RMerlin

It sounds that you disagreed with some steps.
What is the way you'd recommend for my RT-AC87R on your FW?
Do you confirm that this can/will improve WifI issues?

Thx

Instead of "Upload your old configuration.", you must manually reconfigure everything.

Most stable wifi at the moment for the RT-AC87U is either Asus's 378_38xx firmware, or my 376.49_6-newqtn experimental build. They both use the same driver.

Instead of "Upload your old configuration.", you must manually reconfigure everything.

Most stable wifi at the moment for the RT-AC87U is either Asus's 378_38xx firmware, or my 376.49_6-newqtn experimental build. They both use the same driver.

@RMerlin
OK got it
And what's the best way to reset - the button on the back, Web UI or press and hold power button?

@RMerlin
OK got it
And what's the best way to reset - the button on the back, Web UI or press and hold power button?

Reset button or webui option will both work fine.

RMerlin, that link is asking to sign up for MediaFire. It doesn't take me to the Misc folder at all (it did before in previous links you've posted).

RMerlin, that link is asking to sign up for MediaFire. It doesn't take me to the Misc folder at all (it did before in previous links you've posted).

I probably got redirected because I'm logged into my account.

Just use the usual download link from my website, and instead of going into a model sub-folder, go into the Misc folder.