What's new

Restore settings...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

macster2075

Very Senior Member
Can I restore saved settings and jffs from previous version over to latest?

JFFS should be ok. Settings are not necessarily compatible because they can change between releases (e.g. new nvram variables, changes to length of nvram variables, change in content of nvram variables).

JFFS should be ok. Settings are not necessarily compatible because they can change between releases (e.g. new nvram variables, changes to length of nvram variables, change in content of nvram variables).
Thanks Dave...so if all the devices set with custom names and custom pictures, all that will be deleted and will have to be done again at every update?

Thanks Dave...so if all the devices set with custom names and custom pictures, all that will be deleted and will have to be done again at every update?
No, on an upgrade your settings will persist unless explicitly mentioned in the release notes (rare).

If you’re resetting to factory default settings to fix an issue, you wouldn’t want to restore potentially damaged settings anyhow, but others have successfully written scripts to save those specific settings.

oh ok.. I thought they recommended to clear nvram on every update/upgrade.

EDIT
you mentioned the settings will persist... but not the jffs?
I guess Im a little confused.. you said the settings are not necessarily compatible as they can change between releases... so, doesn't that mean that I should clear nvram on every update?

Last edited:
I wouldn't know how to clear nvram. Maybe this happens on a factory default restore, I don't know. I consider factory default a last resort and would never do it routinely for a firmware upgrade. I only factory default restore when I get a new router after I get to the latest firmware.

No settings, whether JFFS or nvram, are intentionally lost by a firmware upgrade. It is just a matter of whether settings or variables are changed in the new version. This does not happen frequently. If not changed, then you can use backups directly. If changed, perhaps you can use the data in the backup to restore it via the new way whatever it may be.

ok.. I'm just used to Tomato where it's recommended to always flash new firmware updates and clear nvram (factory reset). So you're saying, unless specifically mentioned in the firmware notes, I can just flash the update without having to manually set any settings or jffs afterwards?

ok.. I'm just used to Tomato where it's recommended to always flash new firmware updates and clear nvram (factory reset). So you're saying, unless specifically mentioned in the firmware notes, I can just flash the update without having to manually set any settings or jffs afterwards?
Yes, that is what I do. I do not uninstall or unmount or reset anything for a firmware upgrade. I do backup with a shell script files and nvram settings that I customize as I change them at best or at firmware upgrade time at worst.

Thank you... I have been searching, but I can't seem to find it.. Is there a link to a page that shows the difference between the stock Asus Firmware vs Merlin?
like what features does one have that the other doesn't?

Thank you... I have been searching, but I can't seem to find it.. Is there a link to a page that shows the difference between the stock Asus Firmware vs Merlin?
like what features does one have that the other doesn't?
There’s this for example:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac86u-stock-vs-merlin.44852/

Sometimes it’s better to try a Google search than a search using the forum search facility. So try both if you get stuck.

Quora also has something to offer:

https://www.quora.com/Why-should-I-download-Merlin-Firmware-for-my-ASUS-router

Thanks...I did try both the forum and search engine...I guess my search abilities are not that great :)

Thanks...I did try both the forum and search engine...I guess my search abilities are not that great :)

You’ve only just joined - so welcome. I suppose I forgot to mention that when you’ve been following the forum for a while, certain terms stick in your mind, or you half remember the title or specific words used in a relevant posy. That greatly helps one’s searching.

With nearly 80 posts to your name since you joined some 2 weeks ago, you’ll very soon be adept at finding what you want - if it’s there, that is. And sometimes it’s better to ask: the advice in some older posts can easily and quickly get out of date as things progress and lead you into trouble if you follow it.