What's new

RJ-45 Good Enough or Must it Say Cat5e?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kirsch92

New Around Here
I have a structured wiring center in my home manufactured by Eaton.

I was thinking of buying this module for my Cat5e network for gigabit network.
http://www.structured-wiring.net/eestrwiring/SW/Audio/TechnicalResources/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&Rendition=Primary&dDocName=TD00412074E
Nowhere in the literature does it mention Cat5e. Just RJ-45. In the install instructions it mentions Cat 5 cable.

It's a simple non-bridged circuit board pass thru patch panel. Will this sustain gigabit speeds or does it need to specifically mention Cat5E?

Thanks

I have a structured wiring center in my home manufactured by Eaton.

I was thinking of buying this module for my Cat5e network for gigabit network.

Nowhere in the literature does it mention Cat5e. Just RJ-45. In the install instructions it mentions Cat 5 cable.

It's a simple non-bridged circuit board pass thru patch panel. Will this sustain gigabit speeds or does it need to specifically mention Cat5E?

Thanks

RJ-45 is the generic term used for both the 8P8C (8Pins, 8Connected)* sockets and plugs used in networking, Cat5e is the type of cabling used, it is the enhanced version of Cat5... also alot of people shorten Cat5e to cat5 where there is a clear differnce to each cable type.

cat5e will support GigE while cat5 will not.

you can have 8P6C, 8P4C ones aswell which are used for phones on a PABX/ custom wiring jobs.

anyways back on topic

that unit will be fine maybe send a support email to ask if it is rated for 5e as sometimes you may not be able to push GiGE via Cat5 rated sockets.

Per IEEE 802.3ab, regular cat5 will support gigabit speeds (in a perfect world...), though cat5e is the recommended minimum.

Per IEEE 802.3ab, regular cat5 will support gigabit speeds (in a perfect world...), though cat5e is the recommended minimum.

sure in a perfect world....

tho they should rellay jsut change all their documentation to state cat5e...