What's new

Rj45 Socket back to cable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carnagerover

Hi all,

I have an rj45 socket downstairs where my router is and one in my sons bedroom which are connected via an outside cat5e cable. I am wanting to snip the cable just before it enters my sons room and pull that cable back into my loft and then into my bedroom into a switch. One I have snipped the cable in my sons room I can look at how the socket is wired and then do the same on the snipped end and crimp that into an RJ45 end and then plug directly into the switch.

Is there any problem going from a socket on one end into a rj45 plug at the other?

Thanks

Stu

No problem as long as you follow the same color code. Before you go to the trouble have you used the cable, wall-plug-to-wall-plug, to verify that the cable is undamaged and wired consistently on each end?

I'll disagree here.

Jacks are designed to connect to solid wire. Plugs to stranded. If you want to go the other way you'll have to special order the plug or jack.

The existing wire you have is about 99.99999% likely to be solid. A normal plug expects stranded wire and so the connection points are closer together to allow for the individual strands of conductors to shift when the connection in made. So when you put a plug on it the metal "blades" will cut deeply into the solid conductor making it much more likely to break.

Go to Home Depot and get a Quick Port jack and small surface mount cover for under $10 then use a patch cord. Lowes sells a similar thing but I don't remember the brand.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!