What's new

Router decision for 3 story, double brick, extra thick cement floors

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Take a look @ the coax in your house. See if it says RG6 or CATV6. That's what you want. If it says RG59 that's old school for off air viewing only. Too much loss will occur at high frequencies with RG59 at lengths longer than a few feet.

Are your coax cables home run or is it a loop system (daisy chain)? Does the cable go where you'll need it to connect to AP's?

I have TV's where most of the action will happen so yes AP stationed there would be effective, but do AP's directly impact the total bandwidth available wirelessly?

Also how do i tell if my coax is the above specified? or should i consult my father in regards to this? There are about 5 coax outlets. Ill check with him when he wakes up.

I have TV's where most of the action will happen so yes AP stationed there would be effective, but do AP's directly impact the total bandwidth available wirelessly?
If the coax outlets are close enough to the TV, you can skip the APs. MoCA adapter will give you Ethernet out.

Coax type will be printed on the cable.

I was thinking if i have the coax idea working, do i need splitters as the TV would be there as well? Or is that why there is an in and out for the device? Which one would go where?

I was thinking if i have the coax idea working, do i need splitters as the TV would be there as well? Or is that why there is an in and out for the device? Which one would go where?
Adapters have in/out. Read the reviews.
Also read the MoCA posts in this Forum.

I just checked the cable, its RG6 so i guess its good to go. Should i make a new post in the MOCA forum about setting up a network?

Do not assume that the cable between the port and device is the same as what's in the wall.

Read the posts that are already in the forum before posting. Most of your questions have already been asked and answered. Key thing is that you need your splitters to handle out to at least 1.5 GHz. MoCA also won't work through amplifiers.

Ive spoken to my dad, the coax used to his knowledge is unknown, however what i can tell you that the house was built in 1997. Does that help tell which cable is being used in my home?

The splitter is replaceable there is only one in the roof.

I read wikipedia and it says most coax cables are RG6? so ill assume it is, i dont know any other way to check. the interior cabling. I also have more information, i have free digital channels, does it mean its likely i have rg6?

so do i get this and attach a switch and AP to it? Do all AP's use the same SSID and channel or can they be different?

Last edited:
Ive spoken to my dad, the coax used to his knowledge is unknown, however what i can tell you that the house was built in 1997. Does that help tell which cable is being used in my home?
Not really. You need to find an area where the coax is exposed and check. Perhaps taking off a wall plate and pulling out slack coax. Or where the splitter is.

Had another thought. Since there is coax, there may be conduit. An electrician may be able to pull CAT5e/6 through it. But with the central point being the roof, you would not be able to install a switch there.

Haha had the biggest argument out on the existence of types of coax cables so i think ill avoid that way now.

As for the wes610n can it do "station infrastructure" mode?? i was thinking of having Router in the centre of the house then go through an SI to an AP broadcasting as a different SSID on a different channel.

I pulled out some slack, and the cable has NO imprinting of what kind of coax it is. Nor do can i find any instrument to properly measure its core. Is there anyway else i can find the type of coax used?

EDIT: The core is less then 1mm so it is not RG6 and since australia only uses 59 OR 6 then it is probably 59. And if i recall i think thiggens said that it was not recommended to have moca done right?

Last edited:
All in-home TV coax is 75 ohm.
50 ohm coax is used for most non-TV RF signals.

In TV coax, RG6 is popular but there are types that have double shields, lower losses, etc. For all but rare cases, RG6 is fine.

That said, some home TV coax used RG59 - it's smaller in diameter than RG6 and more lossy. OK for short runs. The cheap-a** builder for my town home used RG59 - for 150 ft. runs. Save him all of $2, I'll bet. This is late 1980's.

Last edited:

Sorry steve i dont see/understand the direction where you are leading me to..

EDIT: Im going to remeasure the core again. Wiki says its 1mm for RG6

In TV coax, RG6 is popular but there are types that have double shields, lower losses, etc. For all but rare cases, RG6 is fine.

That said, some home TV coax used RG59 - it's smaller in diameter than RG6 and more lossy. OK for short runs. The cheap-a** builder for my town home used RG59 - for 150 ft. runs. Save him all of $2, I'll bet. This is late 1980's.

Wow i cant believe my house used RG59 at 1997... guess ill just use two WES610n's one to infra and one to AP a new SSID on a different channel to the original...

I think you mean wireless bridges. Cisco Linksys WES610N is an example.

Then you are going to need to get Ethernet from the top and bottom floors to the center floor.

tim - I would avoid this device like the plague - I had serious issues with packet checksums on this device, escalated up to Linksys tier 3, and they basically said - tough sh*t - they acknowledged the problem, but there is no fix...

Buffalo has better stuff...