What's new

router (no wifi) & router (AP-only)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bronze

New Around Here
Hi,

I need a first router (with wifi off or absent, and with an additional bridge if the router doesn't have 8 gigabit ports), as well as a second router acting as AP + few gigabit ports.

The first router (+bridge?) should fit an USTec structured wiring box, somewhere in a corner of my house The first router interfaces with the cable internet provider (i.e. needs DHCP). The second router/AP (dual band, 802.11n) goes in a more central spot in my house.

I was initilaly looking for a first router without wifi and without needing a bridge (i.e. 8ports) but is seems that really limits my choice.

Can people recommend routers that work properly as AP or with wifi disabled? Do I want the routers, bridge to be of the same brand?

Regards,

B

Hi Tim,

I know the option exists. But I found one of my routers to not work properly with DHCP off; DHCP stayed on (ignoring the setting). Also, minor issue, on the same router I couldn't change the start range of the addresses suited for DHCP. The option existed, but the firmware ignored my attempt to use the setting.

Perhaps people can recommend some routers that actulally work pleasantly as AP or when "wifi is turned off"? :) Maybe all of them do these days.

I found it aggrevating to find these options not work in my current routers.

Regards,

B

I'd reset that router to factory defaults, and consider updating the firmware on it.

Also make sure your browser is clean from adware toolbars and BHOs....I've seen infected web browser have issues when working on some web pages (which is what most routers administration panel is controlled through).