What's new

Routing Performance - DS1512+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

indothai

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,

Anyone know the routing performance of the DS1512+ ?

I would like to replace my existing Asus RT-N56U router with my DS1512+, but am concerned about the routing performance.

My current setup:
vDSL Modem <---> Asus RT-N56U <---> Gig Switch <---> (LAN1)DS1512+

Would like to:
vDSL Modem <--->(LAN1)DS1512+(LAN2)<---> Gig Switch

Greatly appreciate any advice!

I may be wrong, but I don't think you can replace a Router with a NAS and expect it to route? At least not at the level of (wired) routing performance the RT-N56U offers.

Why do you want to do this?

I ran through the manual really quickly and got the impression that it could route, essentially replacing a home router.

I did another "quick-run-through" of the user manual, and it seems you are right. It might not be able to route, or at least replace a home router.

Reason why I wanted to replace my Asus router, to reduce clutter.

Reduce clutter? If I could use a closet full of multiple RT-N56U's to increase the great switching speeds they offer - I would.

But, clutter/beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. :)

No, none of these NASes have routing capabilities (w/NAT).

Actually...some of the higher end biz models do..they have multiple NICs and they have an app and options to run as a traditional NAT router much like your conventional Stinksys or Nutgear router. WAN, LAN, PPPoE support, port forwarding, DNS server, DHCP server, all that. And much more.

As to answer the OP....although we run a RS2212+ at our office...I have no idea what it benches as with routing performance, as we just run her single NIC behind our dual Xeon 7x interface Untangle firewall.

link to EZ-Internet setup for proof
http://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/tutorials/456#t2.1

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!