What's new

RT-1900P (Stock FW or RMerlin's???)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Poseidon

I currently have the RT-1900P router (Best Buy version) running the latest stock Asus FW but many are recommending going with RMerlin's FW.

Pardon my ignorance but are there any benefits running RMerlin's custom FW as opposed to stock Asus FW?

Are the latest security fixes incorporated in Merlin's FW? What about any WiFi speed and/or range gain with Merlin's FW?

Can't decide if I should stick with stock or jump to RMerlin?

Please advice. Thanks

I have this router and prefer running Merlin.

The wireless log page is superior in Merlin. There’s a real handy wireless site survey feature. There’s a system info page, which shows CPU/Radio temps among other things. I also like that Merlin is always addressing security issues.

Check out some info here: http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/screenshots

Latest security fixes and Merlin fixes included. WiFi isn’t touched by Merlin.

To add to @scjr's answer, user scripts and custom configuration files are two features that make your router extremely configurable.
If you just set it and forget it, it likely doesn't matter too much but when you want to tinker a bit Merlin's fork is the way to go.

To add to @scjr's answer, user scripts and custom configuration files are two features that make your router extremely configurable.
If you just set it and forget it, it likely doesn't matter too much but when you want to tinker a bit Merlin's fork is the way to go.

What's settings are recommended to "tweak" in Merlin's?

Thanks

What's settings are recommended to "tweak" in Merlin's?

Thanks

Most things are alright out of the box IMO, tweaking is only needed if you want to add more functionalities.
Common things people do: ad blocking, malicious IP blocing, OpenVPN server/client.
Other things will depend on your environment and requirements.

Thanks for the input. I installed Merlin's latest alpha build (384.6_alpha2-gd75ce9a46) on my 1900P and finished configuring it. Few questions though:

1) is UPnP still unsafe to have enabled? Isn't it needed for Xbox Live MP gaming?

2) does enabling "Malicious Sites Blocking" (under AiProtection) slow internet surfing down a bit? Is it recommended to leave enabled or disabled?

3) using Merlin's fork....does Firmware Updater feature work or must all future FW updates be done manually?

1) is UPnP still unsafe to have enabled? Isn't it needed for Xbox Live MP gaming?

2) does enabling "Malicious Sites Blocking" (under AiProtection) slow internet surfing down a bit? Is it recommended to leave enabled or disabled?

3) using Merlin's fork....does Firmware Updater feature work or must all future FW updates be done manually?

1. Having it enabled definitely increase risk but one people are willing to accept to have smoother console gaming experience. I personally don’t console game so I have always turned UPnP right off the bat.

2. It adds latency but not sure if you’d notice, you can try it yourself. Asus has had this feature for a while and it’s relatively fast and stable. A lot of people use it.

3. I’ve always updated manually so I’m not sure. Is this a feature in the Asus mobile app? If so, I wouldn’t even install it. It’s introduced security issues in the past (open web UI to WAN).

FW updates simply provides notification of available update being on the server. This is true for stock and Merlin’s firmware.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!