What's new

RT-AC5300 to Bridge or Not to Bridge ?!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aliitp

Occasional Visitor
I am looking to buy the ASUS RT-AC5300 upgrading from my first AC ever bought the R7000, I am seeking to buy TWO of these to have the first one as my Main Router and the Second as my bridge...

My concern is this...

I have seen a lot of reviews and benchmarks on SNB and i can say the ASUS seems to have the BEST UP/Down Throughput as per the following:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/bar/95-5-ghz-updn/31

I really would like to see hitting the 600 Mbps limit if possible (or possibly even more) despite having all clients at my home Wireless and not a single wired PC but Mine, i will be doing a lot of data transfer to a secondary WD Cloud HDD which will be connected via ethernet to my main router, so my question here are those results applicable for this device as well as its connected just like any other device on my network ?...

My second question If I setup both Asus routers as Main and Bridge will they actually help yield those throughput results on my network ?...

I am currently using the R7000 as main and bridge and the max i get is 30 MB/sec when copying files to a USB 3.0 device connected there, but with a little of network hiccups and less coverage at my apartment and dead spots, so does it make sense upgrading from those older 1300 Mbps routers to the ASUS ?..

Thanks,

hi

your post is a bit wondering and im trying to make some sense of it so a few questions

I am seeking to buy TWO of these to have the first one as my Main Router and the Second as my bridge...

are you referring to the second setup as a media bridge or repeater etc or is there ethernet between the primary and secondary units and the secondary being in AP mode

I am currently using the R7000 as main and bridge and the max i get is 30 MB/sec when copying files to a USB 3.0 device connected there

what are you using in the usb 3 eg hdd or dongle etc

the speed of the usb 3 will be the bottleneck , you may see 60MB/s on the 5300 but in reality if you are looking for faster file transfer speeds dont use usb anything and get a NAS and the get the 110MB/s speeds of the giga ethernet

i will be doing a lot of data transfer to a secondary WD Cloud HDD which will be connected via ethernet to my main router,

whats the actual speed of your internet as this maybe the limiting factor as well

hi

your post is a bit wondering and im trying to make some sense of it so a few questions

are you referring to the second setup as a media bridge or repeater etc or is there ethernet between the primary and secondary units and the secondary being in AP mode

>> I clearly said the second is setup as a bridge so its neither an AP nor a repeater :)

what are you using in the usb 3 eg hdd or dongle etc

the speed of the usb 3 will be the bottleneck , you may see 60MB/s on the 5300 but in reality if you are looking for faster file transfer speeds dont use usb anything and get a NAS and the get the 110MB/s speeds of the giga ethernet

>> I am now seriously considering a NAS or a cloud storage such as the WD Cloud (I believe you can store files locally on it too not just over the internet...), most routers from what Iv'e seen wont allow a decent USB3.0 performance I wonder why...!

whats the actual speed of your internet as this maybe the limiting factor as well

>> I am looking to upgrade at some point to 1 Gbps internet, so my question here will a wireless router yield 1 Gbps throughput over Wi-Fi ?? or is that just over LAN ?? just curious ...

Thanks,

so my question here will a wireless router yield 1 Gbps throughput over Wi-Fi ??

close but not at this stage unless you look at the 60ghz stuff and its useless over distance

current wifi runs at about 480Mbps and you wont even get 1gig over ethernet as about 900Mbps is about it and thats with no services running , enable qos or other features and you get no where near that speed

close but not at this stage unless you look at the 60ghz stuff and its useless over distance

current wifi runs at about 480Mbps and you wont even get 1gig over ethernet as about 900Mbps is about it and thats with no services running , enable qos or other features and you get no where near that speed

I see...

am only wondering ISP offering 1 Gbps and even 3 Gbps internet in my country what wifi routers they provide the client since i have the same assumption about routers that most can manage 500 Mbps max...

am only wondering ISP offering 1 Gbps and even 3 Gbps internet in my country what wifi routers they provide the client since i have the same assumption about routers that most can manage 500 Mbps max...

generally you would only ever see those speeds when you connect a comp direct to the incoming feed , otherwise even the isp supplied stuff would limit it

its a bit crazy isp's offering these speeds to the public as unless you have some serious soho / business gear you aint going to close to its speed

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!