What's new

[RT-AC56U] Reboot cycle after update to original firmware 374.291

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tubibus

New Around Here
This is my first post on this forum and please forgive me for my English (translated from Italian thanks to google) ;)

I have successfully flashed my RT-AC56U v374.34_2 from the previous version v374.33. Causes problems with the Netgear WNCE3001 (the wifi ac56u crashed) I tried to flash the latest firmware from Asus v374.291. With the manual restart at the end of flashing, my router is permanently blocked.

There is only the power LED on (not blinking) and after about 20 seconds, all the LEDs of the RJ45 (LAN + WAN) shortly light up. It seems an endless reboot cycle.

I can't access in the recovery mode (power + reset button) and the Firmware Restoration does not find any device. I also tried the hard reset 30/30/30 but nothing happens....
With fixed IP 192.168.1.10 on my LAN card, the ping on 192.168.1.1 do not see anything, not even after using the command arp-s 192.168.1.1 [+ mac address].

Help me please... :( :( :(
How can I recover my router??

Thank you very much.
Tubibus

If it can be useful to the experts to give me some help.... ;)

Code:
C:\>ipconfig

Configurazione IP di Windows

Scheda Ethernet Connessione alla rete locale (LAN):

Suffisso DNS specifico per connessione:
   Indirizzo IPv4. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
   Subnet mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Gateway predefinito . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.0

C:\>ping -t 192.168.1.1

Esecuzione di Ping 192.168.1.1 con 32 byte di dati:
Risposta da 192.168.1.10: Host di destinazione non raggiungibile.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.
Richiesta scaduta.

Statistiche Ping per 192.168.1.1:
    Pacchetti: Trasmessi = 23, Ricevuti = 6,
    Persi = 17 (73% persi),

My router is dead???? :(:(:(

Help me please..... :(:(:(

I have the exact same issue. I flashed the firmware in the same order as Tubibus and now have a bricked router. I'd advise other AC56U owners to avoid downgrading in this fashion.

Sadly, the RT-AC56U bootloader is seriously bugged. In some situations, it will have trouble dealings with some stored nvram values that will make it fail to handle the reset and WPS buttons, in addition to failing to configure the network interface. The only solution I found in these cases was to hook up a serial cable, and use it with the firmware's initial console that gets initialized later during the boot stage to be able to erase the nvram content.

That was one of the reasons why I advised against playing with overclocking on the RT-AC56U. I suspect that some firmware versions might also lead to that same situation.

I suspect that might be what's happening to you. You already had nvram settings that prevented the bootloader from working properly, and you flashed a firmware that fails to properly boot, leading you to being stuck in a boot loop. If that's the case, the only solution I could find is opening the router and using a serial cable.

RMerlin Thanks for your response!!!
After several attempts, I finally unlocked my router!!! :D

Procedure:
  • In the settings of my network card I disabled all services / protocols not required ( eg antivirus, IPv6, QoS, netlimiter.... )
  • I associated the IP address 192.168.1.1 to the MAC address of my router via the dos command "ARP -S"
  • In a second dos window, I continued to monitor the ping ( ping-t 192.168.1.1 )
  • I turned off the router and waited a few seconds
  • Continuing to press the WPS button, I turned on the router ( no sign of life :mad: )
  • I turned off the router for about 20 seconds
  • Continuing to press the RESET button, I turned on the router (power led finally flashed :eek: )
  • With flashing LED, the ping would always reply "Connection timed out"
  • I run the Firmware Restoration several times with different firmware, but without success
  • Then I turned off the router for a few seconds
  • I turned on the router, and finally the original firmware ASUS has successfully booted
  • Ping answered correctly with TTL = 64 :D

Then I flashed the Merlin firmware 374.34_2, and performed the reset by pressing the WPS.

I think my error was not to have reset the nvram before flashing the new firmware....

P.S.: forgive me for my bad english... W Google Translate!!!!

Good - glad it wasn't a bootloader failure :)

I think my error was not to have reset the nvram before flashing the new firmware....

This would probably be the best way to greatly reduce the chances of getting the bootloader failure. I will probably start recommending that for the RT-AC56U, people should follow the following upgrade procedure:

1) Save their settings
2) Reset to factory default
3) Flash new firmware
4) Restore saved settings

This would greatly reduce the risk of being locked out.

I was really hopeful when I saw that you got your router fixed. Congrats!

I can't get it to work with your instructions though. I got the router to a point where pings will at least result in "Request timed out" but the router is still looping and not entering rescue mode. How long does it normally take to enter rescue mode after plugging in the power?

Last edited:
I was really hopeful when I saw that you got your router fixed. Congrats!

I can't get it to work with your instructions though. I got the router to a point where pings will at least result in "Request timed out" but the router is still looping and now entering rescue mode. How long does it normally take to enter rescue mode after plugging in the power?

If you do get it to the stage where the power led is flashing, then just run the Firmware Recovery Tool from Asus.

I had a typo in my previous message. I'm *not* getting into rescue mode. What a mess this is, and asus just released a new firmware! *PULLS HAIR*

I had a typo in my previous message. I'm *not* getting into rescue mode. What a mess this is, and asus just released a new firmware! *PULLS HAIR*

Try the following procedure to see if you can revive it.

1) Turn the router off. Unplug all network cables from it.
2) Press the WPS button, and keep it pressed while turning the router on
3) Wait 10 secs, then press the reset button. Now, release the WPS button.
4) Wait 5 secs, then release the reset button

See if the power led starts flashing. If not, repeat the same procedure, but swap the button order (I'm sorry, I can't remember which order was the correct one).

If you can get it to a stage where the power led starts flashing, then plug a LAN computer, and try running the Asus Firmware Recovery tool.

YES! RMerlin, I had pretty much tried exactly what you just suggested and I was able to get the router in rescue mode. I don't remember the exact combination of WPS and resets I had to do but it eventually got to it. For anyone else seeing this issue, follow Tubibus and RMerlin's suggestions and be very persistent.

I think the key is holding down the WPS button first, then trying the reset rescue mode. Also, I had my Ethernet unplugged when I was able to enter rescue mode.

Tubibus and RMelin, thank you both!

P.S: New Asus firmware did not fix my issues (2.4 ghz sucks). Going back to RMerlin's latest

I too bricked my RT-AC56U....i was trying to do a firmware upgrade and i guess something went wrong in the process.

I cannot get it into recovery mode. The POWER LED light stays on constantly.

I followed RMerlin's instructions but it doesn't seem to work. I tried the WPS button first and the reset button first.

Any other suggestions to how i can get my router into recovery mode? :confused:

I cannot get it into recovery mode. The POWER LED light stays on constantly.

I followed RMerlin's instructions but it doesn't seem to work. I tried the WPS button first and the reset button first.

Any other suggestions to how i can get my router into recovery mode? :confused:

Please let me know if you have any solution. I am in the same situation.

I brick mine with tomato firmware, but I can go to the recoevery mode and go to DDWRT without any problems and back to the original firmware. The very last thing I did, I tried RMerlin's lastest mod (28MB) and the router gets into this situation, no matter what I tried (reset, SWP 30-30-30 rules)...etc

here is waht I found
1. power LED is on all the time
2. the Ethernet ports, (LAN1-5, WAN) turn on even without anything connect to it every 50 seconds.
3. No LED LAN on even I plug into one of LAN port.

thanks!

Last edited:
Please let me know if you have any solution. I am in the same situation.

I brick mine with tomato firmware, but I can go to DDWRT without any problems. then back to the original firmware. in the very last, I tried RMerlin's lastest mod (28MB) and the router gets into this situation, no matter what I tried (reset, SWP 30-30-30 rules)...etc

here is waht I found
1. power LED is on all the time
2. the ethernet ports, (LAN1-5, WAN) turn on even without anything connect to it every 50 seconds.

thanks!

Unfortunately, i have had no solution to this. I am thinking if no one can come up with a solution to just take it in for warranty service the next time i am in the country i purchased it. Shame they don't have global warranty service or an easier fix for this.

Mine is completely locked with no way to get it into recovery mode.

You guys have the exact situation that Tubibus and I had. It literally took me 3 hours of reset combinations to get it to work. I can't honestly tell you what finally made it work - Just keep trying and vary the timing of how long you press/release buttons.

You guys have the exact situation that Tubibus and I had. It literally took me 3 hours of reset combinations to get it to work. I can't honestly tell you what finally made it work - Just keep trying and vary the timing of how long you press/release buttons.

Thanks for your information Injuis. I have tried at least 8 hours in these two days with a stop watch, but good to know it works so I will continue.

Webfanatic... let's keep on trying then. please let me know if it works for you :) thanks!

• In the settings of my network card I disabled all services / protocols not required ( eg antivirus, IPv6, QoS, netlimiter.... )
  • I associated the IP address 192.168.1.1 to the MAC address of my router via the dos command "ARP -S"
  • In a second dos window, I continued to monitor the ping ( ping-t 192.168.1.1 )
  • I turned off the router and waited a few seconds
  • Continuing to press the WPS button, I turned on the router ( no sign of life :mad: )
  • I turned off the router for about 20 seconds
  • Continuing to press the RESET button, I turned on the router (power led finally flashed :eek: )
  • With flashing LED, the ping would always reply "Connection timed out"
  • I run the Firmware Restoration several times with different firmware, but without success
  • Then I turned off the router for a few seconds
  • I turned on the router, and finally the original firmware ASUS has successfully booted
  • Ping answered correctly with TTL = 64 :D

I'm in the exact same place you were... my only question is... how did you know the MAC address of your router???

I'm in the exact same place you were... my only question is... how did you know the MAC address of your router???

All networking equipment have their MAC address printed on the label on the bottom of them.

I've been trying like mad 3 hours doing different stuff without luck.

Just to triple check, the procedure would be:

1. Turn off the router
  2. Press the WPS button
  3. Turn it on
  4. Count 10 seconds
  5. Press the Reset button releasing the WPS button at the same time
  6. Count 5 seconds
  7. Release the Reset button

Once I release it (when getting the exact milisecond), it would blink, right?

Thanks in advance... spent a lovely sunday watching at my $200 new brick (after 5 days of use)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!