What's new

RT-AC66U factory reset itself

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

janosek

Regular Contributor
Hello,
I had a weird experience today. I woke up and found my router ac66u with 376.45 factory reset itself after many months of being rock solid. Anyone else experience this?

Hello,
I had a weird experience today. I woke up and found my router ac66u with 376.45 factory reset itself after many months of being rock solid. Anyone else experience this?

Yes I've been having similar issue with mine. both on stock ASUS firmware, DD-WRT, and Merlin.

I updated to 376.47 Merlin about two weeks ago and it hasn't done it since.

It used to randomly reboot itself several times a day, and sometimes during the reboot it would either reset all settings back to factory default, or it would reset some of the settings back to factory default but keep some settings custom.

Try updating to the latest .47 and see if that works for you.

Anyone else experience this?

Yes, two or three times.
I have suspicions about the reason of this problem.
AFAIK AC66U is the only device from Asus which uses SPI chip to store CFE and nvram.
I suspect that Asus's procedures of SPI writing are not ideal and sometimes attempt of writing nvram after changing some settings leads to information lost.
A defective SPI chip may be the reason too, of course.

Once I've bricked my AC66U by writing a new CFE and had to resolder a new SPI.
Never had this problem again.
So you can make a conclusion :D

OK. At least its not just me and its not a factory reset triggered from the WAN. I took the opportunity to update to 376.47, and everything seems good right now. Hopefully it won't happen again.