What's new

RT-AC66U+QOS=limited to 106mb/sec wan->lan

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

npoc

New Around Here
I recently got upgraded to 200mb/sec internet, and my rt-ac66u is limiting my download speed to 106mb/sec if I have qos turned on. I get 213mb/sec or so with qos off.

Is everyone else seeing this?

I'm guessing I will likely just have to turn qos off in order to get the extra speed. Does anyone know a fix other than buying a new router?

edit: I should also note that I'm running merlin 378.53, and previously was running 374.43 *(both seemed affected).

Thanks

It might be because using QoS disables hardware acceleration, and the CPU alone cannot handle speeds in excess of your 106Mb/s limit.

Without CTF enabled (disabled by QoS), the best you can get from an AC66U is about 150Mbps. The complexity of your QoS rules may decrease this number.

Finally, sorry for the silly question.....but did you update the Upload/Download Bandwidths in the QoS setup to match your new service?

Yes I did update the QOS up/down speeds.

Apparently dd-wrt has a fq_codel queuing discipline that alleviates a lot of the CPU overhead, thereby allowing slower processors to work closer to line rate. I wonder if merlin has any intention of integrating that into asus-wrt *(I think they are forked codebases, so it might be possible).

Yes I did update the QOS up/down speeds.

Apparently dd-wrt has a fq_codel queuing discipline that alleviates a lot of the CPU overhead, thereby allowing slower processors to work closer to line rate. I wonder if merlin has any intention of integrating that into asus-wrt *(I think they are forked codebases, so it might be possible).

Codel cannot be integrated in a kernel older than 3.3. It relies on mechanisms that didn't exist in previous kernels.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!