What's new

RT-AC68P Repeater/Extender Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shizam76

New Around Here
Hello all! First post here. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for my dilemma.

A family member who we go visit often, has a "guest suite" above their detached garage for guests to stay in while visiting. In order to get internet blasted over there so the TV's can stream, they bought a Asus RT-AC68P router as I have one at home and love it. A relative from the other side of the family set it up wirelessly in repeater mode to repeat the signal from the Comcast modem/router/voip router combo they have.

While connected to the Asus, The issue is, most times when trying to just load google.com, your device just sits there waiting. Most times it just times out. Sometimes google will load. This could be standing right next to the unit. I have no idea what they did to set it up, so I factory reset it. I then set it back up. Set up the SSIDs, etc. However this time I changed channels. I noticed the comcast router and Asus were on the same channel. So, I programmed the Asus to use a different channel. Still the same thing. We had to leave last time before I could look more into it. We are going back this weekend and I was going to try and tinker more.

Any suggestions on what to check/change? Is this common where you use an Asus router and grab your comcast wireless signal wirelessly to repeat it and it does what I stated above?

Have a good weekend!

What is their main router? What firmware version are the router running? Was a backup config file used to configure it or was it done manually (and minimally)?

I would suggest not using any router as a repeater. Instead, use it as a wired AP connected to the main router and located as close as possible to the guest suite. The signal may not be great in an absolute term (i.e. '5 bars'), but the throughput and latency should be much improved over the current setup.

Any suggestions on what to check/change? Is this common where you use an Asus router and grab your comcast wireless signal wirelessly to repeat it and it does what I stated above?

go to the asus gui

go to

administration / operation mode

select repeater mode and click save

it will scan and show you a list of wifi transmissions around it

select the one that is their main house transmission and enter the passphrase ( checking it has at least a good signal )

click save or apply which ever it is

the asus will then reboot and if capable connect to the transmission in the house

------------------

note if the transmission is very low from the house try moving the asus closer to a window so it gets a better signal

--------------------------------------------

alternatively just factory reset the asus and follow this guide

pete

What is their main router? What firmware version are the router running? Was a backup config file used to configure it or was it done manually (and minimally)?

I would suggest not using any router as a repeater. Instead, use it as a wired AP connected to the main router and located as close as possible to the guest suite. The signal may not be great in an absolute term (i.e. '5 bars'), but the throughput and latency should be much improved over the current setup.

The main router is the xfinity router with the voip included. The firmware I'd have to check when I get there. I do know it was a manual setup. No configuration file.

Not sure if they want/are keen on wire running through the house :rolleyes:

go to the asus gui

go to

administration / operation mode

select repeater mode and click save

it will scan and show you a list of wifi transmissions around it

select the one that is their main house transmission and enter the passphrase ( checking it has at least a good signal )

click save or apply which ever it is

the asus will then reboot and if capable connect to the transmission in the house

------------------

note if the transmission is very low from the house try moving the asus closer to a window so it gets a better signal

--------------------------------------------

alternatively just factory reset the asus and follow this guide

pete

Thanks Pete. I believe this is what I did last time I was here. I just got here now. It's really late. I can post on Facebook fine. Here, OK but some pause/lag in loading pages. Trying the speedtest ookla app it sits on "finding the best server" and I can't connect. Google. Com was about 30 second "lag" before it would load.

ok well access the asus via its ip address and it will show you what link speed it is connected at

you may also want to look at the main router to see if any firwall conditions have been set

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!