What's new

RT-AC68P Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EvaninAZ

New Around Here
Hello all,

Admitted noob here. I am trying to figure out how to set up my router to ensure runs best as possible. I am hardwired into my fiber connection on the 5Ghz band in my office and getting 400Mbps up/down (the router is 3 feet away). While good, it's still not what I was promised by Cox (any ideas?).

The bigger problem is what is happening over WiFi throughout the rest of the house. Other devices (Playstation, son's laptop, wife's laptop) can only 'find' the 2.4Ghz band on WiFi. The connection speeds for those devices are running about 10Mbps to 15Mbps - AWFUL!. I must be doing something wrong b/c there is no way the signal should degrade that much for devices 20 or so feet away (in a drywall & wood built house).

What am I missing? We are all using versions of Windows 8.1, I updated firmware yesterday, I ran malware checks, etc.

My settings on the 2.4Ghz band are below (note - I changed bandwidth and Channel yesterday b/c I read something that indicated that may help. It didn't). Obviously there are tons of settings on this thing and I haven't the slightest idea how to use them (there are no instructions or help anywhere I can find!). I must be doing something idiotic.:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
First you need to check if your client devices are dual band.
Single band devices will only see the 2.4Ghz band, dual band will see 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

There are many factors that can affect wireless throughput. Could be a crowded channel, or some kind of interference. Try to use only channels 1, 6 or 11. Test each one.

Also, I think you should upload a picture without your password showing!

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-n66r-dropped-speed-and-packet-loss.26674/#post-200707

See the thread above for some things to try.

Don't use channels other than 1, 6 or 11 on the 2.4GHz band.

What firmware are you using on your router? Did you flash a newer version yet? RMerlin's firmware is highly recommended over any Asus build.

If you have flashed a newer version, did you do a full reset to factory defaults via the gui and then manually and minimally (do not use a backup config file) to configure the router to secure it and connect to your ISP?

First you need to check if your client devices are dual band.
Single band devices will only see the 2.4Ghz band, dual band will see 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

There are many factors that can affect wireless throughput. Could be a crowded channel, or some kind of interference. Try to use only channels 1, 6 or 11. Test each one.

Also, I think you should upload a picture without your password showing!

If that doesn't demonstrate how clueless I am, nothing does! Image deleted, password changed. Thx.

If that doesn't demonstrate how clueless I am, nothing does! Image deleted, password changed. Thx.

Yeah, those other devices are single band but I can't imagine 2.4 would be SO much slower than 5Ghz. OK, will try different channels.

There will be a large difference between the throughput of the 2.4GHz band and the 5GHz band at close to medium range. The 5GHz band on AC class clients will show how bad the lesser band is. ;)

Thanks. I changed to channel 11 and it's up to 30Mbps. Better but still abysmally slow considering I have fiber and I was told I would get up to 1,000Mbps.

Are there other settings that are important? Channel bandwidth? Network Key Rotation Interval? Wireless Mode? WPS? WDS? Adaptive QoS? IPv6? DHCP?

I mean - SERIOUSLY - who programs this crap. It's not even English!

And what does "flash a newer version' mean? You're suggesting to a dunce that I use a different firmware, reset, then manually configure? That feels quite dangerous.

If you are using Asus or RMerlin firmware, it is not dangerous.

Manually configuring is just what you've done so far.

Look at the other thread in the link I've already given you for more details.

Each new field has it's own internal language. Who said English should rule? :)

With the settings you have now and using Channel 11, you might want to try 40MHz channel width to see if it helps.

Keep plugging away, pretty sure you'll speak all this Greek too. ;)

LOL. Thanks. I already know more than I ever wanted to. Seriously though, I'm not a stupid person and you need a PhD to figure this stuff out. The router company that comes out with technology for idiots (think the iPhone of routers), they will garner 80% market share.